Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

LAN ports just lock up

• scottee
  • Topic Author
More
06 May 2017 19:25 #1 by scottee
LAN ports just lock up was created by scottee
HI guys,

I have a Vigor 2860 Series and it has always suffered from the following issue witch some others have noticed on the internet.
Zen is my ISP, and this is a FTTC connection.

Basically the LAN ports just "locks up" and you lose the internet. I am currently connected on a standard BT openreach modem which connects into the
WAN2 (Giga Lan Port) The internet connectivity is fine over the Wireless conections and you can log in and use the admin screen for a reset.
However connection to the router via a lan cable is broken and none of the ports seem active. This is happening 1-5 times a week now.
Rebooting the Router corrects everything but this is a "damned nuisance" to be honest.

I am using the latest BT firmware 3.8.4.3_BT. This has been a problem for some time now even before the firmware upgrade.

Has anyone seen this and what is the fix ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2017 14:03 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: LAN ports just lock up
Not active in what way? Are the lights on? Can you ping the router etc ?

Forum Administrator

• scottee
  • Topic Author
More
07 May 2017 21:37 #3 by scottee
Replied by scottee on topic Re: LAN ports just lock up
HI,

yes a fair question, i will have to wait until this happens again and try to ping the router. This should happen in the next few days, based upon
past performance. The lights do seem to flicker on the router, but just "look wrong" as if there is little activity. Wifi works to the internet, but not
via the lan ports. You cannot go into the admin screen via the internal web server on the modem router. no response at all via the lan ports.

More
08 May 2017 07:26 #4 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: LAN ports just lock up
I'd trying pinging the router, or other devices (wireless/wired), telnet the router etc next time it happens.
Plug/unplug the ethernet cable

Forum Administrator

• scottee
  • Topic Author
More
08 May 2017 12:37 #5 by scottee
Replied by scottee on topic Re: LAN ports just lock up
In answer to the question.

It happened again this morning :-
PING times out and the modem is unavailable except over a wifi connection.

After a reboot the modem responded, as expected over the LAN port (PING responded correctly).

so basically i have a Draytek 2860 with a BT OPenreach VDSL modem and Netgear profsafe switch.

modem <-> Draytek 2860 <-> Netgear JGS524E switch setup.

i have to admit it looks like a old firmware issue to me or some setting that is not compatible with my setup.

More
30 May 2017 09:40 #6 by florenceanne1
Replied by florenceanne1 on topic Re: LAN ports just lock up
With the 2860 why are you using a BT openreach modem I use my 2860 as modem router just set it to vdsl.

I would also recommend updating firmware to the Bt acceptable one i am using  3.8.4.4_BT, when I finally changed to the new one my sync speed increased by almost 10Mbps at same time my latency dropped from 24 to 14. In game now I tend to be around 13/14ms as apposed to 24/28ms. Worth the upgrade just wish I had done it sooner.

Moderators: Sami