Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor130 intermittent connection on TalkTalk Fibre

• wetenhr
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Jul 2019 10:44 #1 by wetenhr
I have been using a Vigor130 as my modem on TalkTalk fibre for last four months without problems. However this week a series of gremlins have crept in:
- First off I started to get a stream of SSL errors, on all devices, across all browsers, whether on wired or wireless connections. My devices all worked fine over a mobile phone connection, so the finger pointed at the TalkTalk side.
- After spending some time with TalkTalk, the problems changed. We're not seeing SSL errors, but the connection is very on/off. One minute it's up and operating at full speed, then it mysteriously disappears. A few minutes later it comes back.

I tried changing the settings to the latest recommended ones in the Draytek guide to setting up TalkTalk VDSL2, but that doesn't seem to have fixed anything. I'm not getting SSL errors but the connection is still intermittent.

My config has two TalkTalk lines, each with their own Vigor130 modem, connected to a Ubiquiti Edgerouter X.

TalkTalk Tech Support have not been helpful; over a couple of hours their advice amounted to "turn it all off, then turn it all back on again", which didn't achieve anything. They want me to reconnect their own modem/router, which is next to useless for me because it has such limited function.

Any thoughts and ideas welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jul 2019 17:42 #2 by adrianh54
Do you the problem with both lines? If so it is clearly not your set up.

You could try different DNS servers to rule that problem out.

If you are on an ECI fibre cabinet you could try the alternative firmware for the Vigor 130.

You can check by viewing the output of "vdsl status " in the Web Console.

[DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR : < IFTN > ] = ECI cabinet . <BCM> = Hauwei cabinet ]

I am with Uno Fibre , (TT Business wrapped with Daisy Comms) and had several weeks of poor connection issues , it did eventually clear up.

• wetenhr
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Jul 2019 18:53 #3 by wetenhr
Thanks for this Adrian. Yes, the problem was on both lines.

But - guess what? After five days of denial, TalkTalk have suddenly admitted there was a problem on their end, at the cabinet. I saw the BT engineer head down in the box today, and this evening the service has come back up. TalkTalk just sent a message saying the problem should now be resolved.

Hugely frustrating that they refused previously to admit anything might be wrong on them, and were forcing me to make lots of changes at my end, all the while with a threat of charges if they had to send a BT guy to my property.

Anyway, problem now seems to be resolved.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
30 Jul 2019 08:26 #4 by adrianh54
Good to know you have the problem resolved.

I went through the same @ a 18 months ago. Terrible intermittent breaks and low-high throughput issues.

The upstream suppliers denied there was an issue at all. Fortunately UNO were brilliant and kept the ticket open as I bombarded them with ping results and lousy speed tests.

3 months later they realised I was right and there had been a "system configuration error" , result was the fault was fixed and all users connected via this system were given full refunds for 3 months broadband charges.

It pays to be persistent when you are getting a poor service.