DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Imminent gigafast install, current router not PPPoE

• greatoldone
  • Topic Author
More
08 Oct 2020 17:25 #1 by greatoldone
Hi,

My cityfibre / gigafast Vodafone is being provisioned next Wednesday. I currently have virgin cable, the provided router set as a modem and an eero pro mesh system is doing the routing and Wi-Fi. I also have a wired lan running via gigabit network switch.

I’ve ended up here as I frequently see the Vigor 130 crop up in threads related to removing the Vodafone supplied router, as it can’t be switched into a “modem only” state for use with existing routers in users installations. I’m one of them, as I’d like to continue to use my eeros, as they’re working well (and cost a fair amount that can’t be recouped as the return window has closed).

What I can’t seem to find is wether the 130 will cope with the gigafast speeds (allegedly 900mbit+). If it does, fine and dandy... I’ll get one and use that to act as my PPPoE widow to the world. If not, what are my options? I really only need something to sit between the Vodafone ONT and the master eero, to provide the PPPoE credentials and pass the data through (I believe).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jason

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2020 12:37 #2 by admin3
The Vigor 130 is an ADSL2+/VDSL2 modem. So it can handle speeds up to around 100mbps with the UK's VDSL and only going from DSL connection to Ethernet, so there's no way it could do PPPoE Ethernet > Ethernet.

Gigafast or FTTP would usually be Ethernet presentation, so you'll need an Ethernet router if the Eero can't do PPPoE connections. The Vigor 2927 is definitely capable of handling throughput of 900mbps with its hardware acceleration enabled and it can use PPPoE for its Internet connections.

Forum Administrator

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.