DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Geting access to 130 through Orbi/Netgear router.

• john_7
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jan 2021 15:02 #1 by john_7
I have a 130 which was linked to a Asus router and network. I had problems with wireless strength in a work room my wife started to use and was recommended a Netgear Orbi system. The wireless signal problem has indeed been resolved but I could access the 130 through the Asus router but I can neither ping or access the 130 through the Orbi router. I know the address is still right as I can cable direct to the 130 via the address. But its much les convenient not being able to access via the network/router. Does anyone know how /if there is a way of getting a link though an Orbi/Netgear router?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
18 Jan 2021 16:19 #2 by hornbyp

John_7 wrote:
Does anyone know how /if there is a way of getting a link though an Orbi/Netgear router?

It's a common problem :cry:
Draytek have a solution - but it's possibly only applicable to Draytek Routers. See: https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/5212

The issue is, that traffic intended for 192.168.2.1 (the Vigor 130), is being sent to your ISP's Default Gateway in the absence of any other Routing information. You're probably going to have to seek help on a Netgear forum, since that is where the issue will have to be fixed.

(Draytek's solution makes use of VLAN tags to target the Vigor 130; other solutions involve adding a 192.168.2.x address to the WAN port of the Router - or even interposing extra hardware between the Vigor 130 and the Router).

I'm intrigued that it worked for your Asus Router. Maybe you could tell @pulck how it's done :wink:

See: https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23957#p98084

• pulck
  • User
  • User
More
18 Jan 2021 21:51 #3 by pulck

hornbyp wrote:
I'm intrigued that it worked for your Asus Router. Maybe you could tell @pulck how it's done :wink:

See: https://forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23957#p98084

Thanks @hornbyp - yes, I'd appreciate any light you can throw on this!

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
19 Jan 2021 09:31 #4 by adrianh54

John_7 wrote:
I have a 130 which was linked to a Asus router and network. I had problems with wireless strength in a work room my wife started to use and was recommended a Netgear Orbi system. The wireless signal problem has indeed been resolved but I could access the 130 through the Asus router but I can neither ping or access the 130 through the Orbi router. I know the address is still right as I can cable direct to the 130 via the address. But its much les convenient not being able to access via the network/router. Does anyone know how /if there is a way of getting a link though an Orbi/Netgear router?

How have you set up the Netgear kit? Is it now your router or is it an access point?

A second Asus router used as a wireless access point or repeater would have done the job with no loss of access to your modem.

I needed a 2nd device at the other end of the house. I have Vigor130 >>>RT-AX92U router >>> RT-AX92U running as access point (wired with the new flat ribbon ethernet cable).

We have WiFi everywhere and son has 4 ethernet ports to connect to.

• john_7
  • Topic Author
More
19 Jan 2021 14:14 #5 by john_7
The Orbi is a reouter. I have no idea what I may have done with the Asus, I had access via two of them, a AC88U and AC68U, I just coulds access the 130. The 68 was using an ISB modem then I got the 130 and pluged it in and it vworked. Changed router, had to set uo the user name and password but it just worked. Oddly at one time I did disable DHCP and I could no ;loger see the 130 via the Asus router so conexted via cable and reenable, it could be acessed again Which I thiought vodd as it would like I had 2 sets off address be created!

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
19 Jan 2021 17:44 #6 by adrianh54
The ASUS routers allow access to the Vigor GUI when you allow the VPN/DHCP connection.
You have your WAN IP address and the gateway (modem) IP address in use.

You can see this on the ASUS GUI Status page , 2 WAN IP's :

Your Orbi probably won't have that facility.