DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

V166 can’t hold a training line sync

• mike.smith
  • Topic Author
More
17 May 2021 06:18 #7 by mike.smith
Replied by mike.smith on topic Re: V166 can’t hold a training line sync
No, it’s a very limit capability router, so just wouldn’t be worth using. The important bit here is that it had been working fine before the line went into training mode, only then did it begin to sync and lose the sync immediately in a repetitive cycle. I don’t believe it to be a faulty unit, I think there is unfinished business in the firmware.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2021 10:01 #8 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: V166 can’t hold a training line sync

mike.smith wrote:
No, it’s a very limit capability router, so just wouldn’t be worth using. The important bit here is that it had been working fine before the line went into training mode, only then did it begin to sync and lose the sync immediately in a repetitive cycle. I don’t believe it to be a faulty unit, I think there is unfinished business in the firmware.

I think you need to a methodical approach to this, rather than jump into conclusions that you really have no evidence to support.

So, in order to ensure that there's no issue with configuration between your router (2962) and modem (166), you should test that latter in the router mode, rather than the modem mode, ensuring that all settings are correctly input.

Next you could try different firmware.

Unless you convinced yourself that 166 has faulty firmware and you don't want to do that, in which case there's an option to put it up for sale on eBay.

More
17 May 2021 11:00 #9 by admin3
Replied by admin3 on topic Re: V166 can’t hold a training line sync
If the modem drops back to "TRAINING" then it's very likely to be a sync issue with the DSL modem specifically. I recommend contacting support about this, it's possible something changed on the ISP end, or maybe the unit does actually have a fault.
Support should have some later alternative modem codes available to test with, which might resolve the line issues.

It might also be helpful to get the output of "vdsl inventory co", which will give some information on what hardware is at the exchange / cabinet end.

Forum Administrator

• mike.smith
  • Topic Author
More
17 May 2021 12:47 #10 by mike.smith
Replied by mike.smith on topic Re: V166 can’t hold a training line sync

edinburgh wrote:

mike.smith wrote:

I think you need to a methodical approach to this, rather than jump into conclusions that you really have no evidence to support.

So, in order to ensure that there's no issue with configuration between your router (2962) and modem (166), you should test that latter in the router mode, rather than the modem mode, ensuring that all settings are correctly input.

Next you could try different firmware.

Unless you convinced yourself that 166 has faulty firmware and you don't want to do that, in which case there's an option to put it up for sale on eBay.

Yes you are quite right, I have no evidence at all other than it previously worked when the line was in a stable condition and when the line has entered a training state, that the modem can no longer hold the sync. Oh and in the mean time I carry out a 'methodical approach' to testing a product whilst it's shredding my line stats which will never go back up.

Moderators: Sami