DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

PPP/MP Setup: Static vs Dynamic IP

More
24 Nov 2021 10:48 #1 by edinburgh
PPP/MP Setup: Static vs Dynamic IP was created by edinburgh
Greetings

I'm looking for advice on the impact of the PPP/MP Setup on the modem to keep a connection.

The manual says: 'Usually ISP dynamically assigns IP address to you each time you connect to it and request. In some case, your ISP provides service to always assign you the same IP address whenever you request. In this case, you can fill in this IP address in the Fixed IP field.'

I have a fixed IP address but so far I've used the dynamic setting here, with my connection dropping at least once a week.

The last sentence in the above quote has the word 'can' in relation to advice to fill in the fixed IP address field, which suggests that it's not mandatory to have this filed filled in.

Does anyone know the impact of either, i.e. not having the fixed address put there or otherwise?

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2021 00:51 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: PPP/MP Setup: Static vs Dynamic IP
I have a fixed IP from Zen (at two properties). Their recommendation is to use DHCP, which I do - with seemingly no ill effects. I suspect they recommend this, because it's one less area for the customer to mess things up :!:

Your disconnections are presumably at the DSL level - and much more likely to be caused by wiring/filters etc.

You could have a play with manually setting the SNR setting: See https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/4800

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami