DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Date/time stamp of CRC/ES/SES errors

More
29 Nov 2021 13:26 #1 by edinburgh
Date/time stamp of CRC/ES/SES errors was created by edinburgh
Hello Forum Members

Just another question: Is there a way of obtaining the date/time stamp of CRC/ES/SES errors on Draytek routers? Or is a Raspberry Pie the only option here?

What I'm looking for is:

(10) CRC - 29 Nov 2021 12:35
SES - 29 Nov 2021 13:00 etc.

We've had some intermittent interference on our line whereby we have days of no errors at all (for example at the weekend) to, all of a sudden, having lots of them, in some cases ultimately resulting in disconnections.

Thank you in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2021 00:35 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Date/time stamp of CRC/ES/SES errors
If anywhere, SYSLOG is the place to look...

... IMHO best viewed externally using Draytek's SyslogRD. ( https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/software/send/336-software/2326-syslog-460-win )

More
04 Feb 2022 15:01 #3 by iceman
Replied by iceman on topic Re: Date/time stamp of CRC/ES/SES errors
Hi edinburgh,

Did you get anywhere with your investigation? I'm having a similar situation with my 2862 (described in the topic I started last night) - you'll see I've tried most things with no success :cry:

During my investigation I've created a (very) dumb python script that telnets to the router and runs a few commands (vdsl status, vdsl status more and show status) every 15 seconds, capture and parse the output to pull out the values, generating a CSV record. I feed the records into a file which can be dynamically linked to an Excel workbook where the values can be charted.

It's pretty basic and I run it from the command prompt, but it could easily be modified to be scheduled by Unix or Windoze based systems.

It could do with some beefing up to handle errors and recovering the telnet session if lost, but it served the purpose I needed from it - allowing me to see the total lack of errors reported and the onset of the cascade of errors that never cease until synch is lost.

Cheers!
Andy

More
04 Feb 2022 15:11 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Date/time stamp of CRC/ES/SES errors
There's also functionality built into the aforementioned SysLogRD, for doing this. (See Misc >> Telnet Read-out Setup).

Additionally, some Router information is available via SNMP. (I use PRTG for this. (I think there's still a free version available)

More
04 Feb 2022 15:47 #5 by iceman
Replied by iceman on topic Re: Date/time stamp of CRC/ES/SES errors
Thanks, I'll go take another look at those!

I had downloaded PRTG a week or two ago and haven't yet looked at the SyslogRD utility... I wanted to avoid making changes to the router configuration to not introduce any new variables into the investigation.

Cheers!
Andy

Moderators: Sami