DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek Vigor and Huawei cabinets

More
05 Dec 2021 20:07 #1 by edinburgh
Draytek Vigor and Huawei cabinets was created by edinburgh
Evening All

I love Draytek equipment and I've been its supporter for well over a decade.

However, following my VDSL woes for just under a year now, I've concluded that Draytek modems don't handle Huawei cabinets very well, especially where there is interference on the line, which is quite a common occurrence. There are a few threads on the Kitz forum which seem to confirm that (most of them refer to 130 or 166), but in a nutshell: days of stability are followed by days of disconnections, regardless of what firmware I use (I've tested mine with all available).

I've now switched over to Fritz!box and while I miss not having so many options to configure the router to suit my needs, as one would on Draytek equipment, I need to be able to rely on an Internet connection during the Covid times especially.

Really disappointing, but unless Draytek look into their modem codes to optimise them to work with Huawei cabinets, I'll have to use another make to get us by.

What are your experiences on using Drayteks with Huawei cabinets?

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2021 20:21 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Draytek Vigor and Huawei cabinets

edinburgh wrote:
I've now switched over to Fritz!box and while I miss not having so many options to configure the router to suit my needs, as one would on Draytek equipment, I need to be able to rely on an Internet connection during the Covid times especially.

Can you put the Fritz!box into 'Bridge mode' and connect to your 2762? via WAN2 - best of both world's then!

More
06 Dec 2021 08:43 #3 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: Draytek Vigor and Huawei cabinets
I've been using a 130 on a Huawei cabinet (BDCM?) for several years and it's extremely stable. As far as I recall in the days when I used a 2862 and its internal modem things were not so good, but my feeling was that the problems were, at least in part, due to frequently rebooting the router when making config changes - the main reason that I changed to a 130 + 292/5/6/7 set up.

More
06 Dec 2021 17:52 #4 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Draytek Vigor and Huawei cabinets
Thank you very much for your responses.

I think if the line is clean/stable (or in BT Wholesale's terms 'not impacted'), then it doesn't matter if the cabinet is Broadcom or Infineon. Because my line isn't, I need to use a different modem for now for me and my partner to be able to provide services for the local community. On problematic VDSL lines, Draytek seems to lose sync more than others.

Moderators: Sami