Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2866LaC not seeing DSL

• bazbrown30
  • Topic Author
More
22 Dec 2021 13:44 #1 by bazbrown30
2866LaC not seeing DSL was created by bazbrown30
Hi All

Ive raised a ticket with Support for an issue with the new 2866lac models not seeing any DSL signal on some circuits.

We have an estate of 2862ln which work fine on ADSL2... When we plug in a 2866LaC on the same working circuit, the 2866LaC does not even see the DSL (DSL status) {but the 2862 sees it within 10 secs of plugging in}

We have had some circuits where the 2866LaC seems to work, and I have physically taken a 2866 from one circuit that is working in one location, and taken to another location (where the 2862 works), but the 2866 does not see the DSL.....

I can only put down to some compatability issiues with the Openreach equipment (Local cab \ exchange) and the modem in the 2866LaC....?

Anyone else had issues with the new 2866LaC model on ADSL2..?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2021 17:44 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2866LaC not seeing DSL
I don't have a 2866Lac - but here's a (long shot) thought ...

Could it be the polarity of the incoming line?

I remember that (years ago) the BT pair were both both just grey wires. The diagnostic/self-test facility would tell you which one was connected to earth.

These days, the incoming BT wires always seem to be colour-coded - with Orange being at -50V wrt earth and connected to Pin 2 of the Master socket - White @ earth and connected to Pin 5.
(According to: https://telephonesuk.org.uk/wiring-info/ )

Just maybe, some new-fangled DSL modem isn't aware of the other option?

More
23 Dec 2021 23:15 #3 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: 2866LaC not seeing DSL
@hornbyp I don't think polarity matters here. It did on old-style phones, but with digital technology, it doesn't anymore (as far as I know, anyway), apart from a lower speed. Certainly it made no other difference on my extension when I had ADSL2+.

@bazbrown30 You mention ADSL2 - did you mean ADSL2 or ADSL2+? If the former, the 2866 isn't compatible, as it's an ADSL2+ router.

You'd need to provide us with more details, anyway. Is the modem in the 'training' stage all the time?

You also mention circuits. What are the makes? I've read somewhere that Ikanos chipset based DSLAMs require Annex B (though it was in relation to VDSL, I think), whereas Broadcom and Inifineon ones Annex A (though if you choose Annex B on Fritzbox on them, it'll still operate as Annex A anyway).

Try and establish the make of the chipset of the cabinets that Draytek doesn't seem to be working on (go to Diagnostics > DSL Status). If it's Ikanos indeed, try getting hold of a Fritzbox 7530 and select Annex B on it.

If it is indeed the chipset thing, I don't think you'll be able to use Draytek on Ikanos, because Draytek only has Annex A, as far as I know. However, wait for the response from Draytek Support (just to warn you: it might be a month before you hear from them...)

Also, on Huawei cabinets, it takes as long as 5 minutes to establish a sync, and sometimes longer (and more than one attempt). Patience is what I'd advise when it comes to Huawei cabinets in general.

Keep us posted - very interesting post.

More
24 Dec 2021 00:28 #4 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: 2866LaC not seeing DSL

edinburgh wrote:
@hornbyp I don't think polarity matters here. It did on old-style phones...

Only when attaching your short-wave aerial to the finger-stop on the dial ... :lol:

I once built a (highly illegal) telephone accessory. It was supposed to replace the bell, with the "Red Alert" sound from Star Trek. It didn't quite manage that - but it did pick up BBC Radio Leeds :roll:

More
12 Sep 2022 15:32 #5 by legal
Replied by legal on topic Re: 2866LaC not seeing DSL

bazbrown30 wrote:
Hi All

Ive raised a ticket with Support for an issue with the new 2866lac models not seeing any DSL signal on some circuits.
Anyone else had issues with the new 2866LaC model on ADSL2..?

Have a similar issue with 2866ax on a long VDSL2 line - only tested at 1 location so far, but have 2 other sites I will now try it on after seeing your post to try to establish if it is site-dependent.
Thanks

Moderators: Sami