Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 166 Bridge Mode Drop Out

• tistopher
  • Topic Author
More
08 Feb 2022 18:08 #1 by tistopher
Vigor 166 Bridge Mode Drop Out was created by tistopher
Hello Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. I've decided to put in a 166 instead of my Openreach modem. tbh speeds minorly increased. But every say 5-10 minutes the internet dropped off. I can confirm this also from the WAN graph in my FortiGate.

I perhaps have missed something unsure. My ISP is Plusnet so I changed the MTU in the Vigor to 1492, I enabled hardware acceleration (just because) left the DSL mode in auto and things seemed to work for a short while. (the internet would come back a few minutes later, then go again)

My openreach has been reinstated and working as before with no drop outs. - Here is perhaps where I may have made a mistake however there is no documentation to say i've done it wrong.

RJ11 from ISP into Vigor. P1 Vigor into WAN FortiGate. Then for visibility I wanted the Vigor on the network so I changed it's LAN to match my Subnet. Then I used P2 Vigor and patched it into my switch. - However Im not sure it's strictly wrong as I could see DSL stats through my LAN while the internet was working for a brief moment.

The only thing I can think of is putting the MTU back to 1500/1520 and just leave my MTU setting on the FortiGate.

Hope this makes sense.

THanks,
Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ocf
  • User
  • User
More
13 Apr 2022 09:12 #2 by ocf
Replied by ocf on topic Re: Vigor 166 Bridge Mode Drop Out
I'm seeing similar issues with a 2760 and talktalk VDSL.

Waiting for an update from draytek support and also posted here, I'll let you know if I find a fix.

Is the connection stable when not in bridge mode using the vigor in NAT mode?

• hash70
  • User
  • User
More
12 Dec 2022 04:17 #3 by hash70
Replied by hash70 on topic Re: Vigor 166 Bridge Mode Drop Out
Havin similar issue with my 166 to asus rt-ax86u,at first left the mtu on the 166 at 1520,but the asus can't go higher than 1492,if I change the vigor to 1500 or 1492 the line becomes unstable

• hash70
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jan 2023 05:17 #4 by hash70
Replied by hash70 on topic Re: Vigor 166 Bridge Mode Drop Out
Was using a bt business smart hub 2 in modem mode to asus rt-ax86u on gfast,my business hub dl sync was usally between 260/275 so id get around 250mb,but it started having modem hang up after 18months of use where it was solid,put the 166v2 in its place and the dl sync speed dropped to 220mb and after 24h it dropped to 200mb,won't go any higher,thought the mtu was the issue as it's at 1520 out the box,its supposed to be configured so why is the mtu 1520,it should be at 1500 right?and my asus rt-ax86u cant go any higher than 1492,so changed the 166 to 1500 but didn't any difference,lost around 50mb dl speed with the 166,support has totally useless

More
02 Apr 2023 13:50 #5 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: Vigor 166 Bridge Mode Drop Out
Just a thought, I changed from my BT modem to a 166 after I had an engineer visit who found the BT box was faulty.

He replaced it and said I should now get 80ish mb connection... I was astonished as I was actually getting about 55mb. He did some tests on the physical cable and then concluded that the BT modem was not up to going any faster.

So I bought a 166 to speed things up a bit.

After enabling HA, I started experiencing a lot of line drops. So I disabled it. And the line became stable.

The 166 was working in bridge mode.

Iain

More
03 Apr 2023 09:32 #6 by haywardi
Replied by haywardi on topic Re: Vigor 166 Bridge Mode Drop Out
OK correction. It was not HA that was causing the problems.

There is something wrong with the 166, no matter what Modem code I use it will not hold a stable connection. It's being returned.

Anyone have any thoughts on a new NON Draytek modem?

Iain