• timdf911
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jul 2022 16:24 #1 by timdf911
Interleaving on 2860n was created by timdf911
Hi,

I've recently moved house and ISP provider. The new ISP provider (Vodafone) gave me a VOX3.0 and it works fine, no drops and good speed, despite us being a long way from the FTTC box and using VDSL2 with vectoring.

However I prefer to use my trusty Draytel 2860n and while it connects fine and produces the same sync speeds for the same SNR, vectoring etc it has a tendency to drop out and re-sync every few hours whereas the VOX3.0 will go for weeks with no problems.

The only obvious difference I can see is that the VOX3.0 is using interleaving 8 from day one whereas the Draytek is using interleaving 1, ie no interleaving and thus more prone to errors and drops - at least as I understand it.

Am I off in the weeds here or is there anything I can do to improve the reliability of the 2860n ? Will the DLM eventually turn on interleaving if it keeps dropping ? If so why does the VOX3.0 have it on all the time ?

FYI I'm running the latest 3.9.1_BT firmware with vectoring and the other end is Openreach.

Regards Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
23 Jul 2022 00:05 #2 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Interleaving on 2860n
I don't understand the ins and outs of DLM (but I assumed it was the cabinet end that decided, not the modem).

You could try fiddling with SNR console command: https://www.draytek.com/support/knowledge-base/4800 (see also, the "VDSL savecfg" command, that isn't mentioned in that article).

Otherwise, you could try some of the alternate 'modem codes'.

(Each of the alternate firmwares listed at: https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-2860 actually contains more than one 'modem code')
e.g.

More
23 Jul 2022 11:31 #3 by desquinn
Replied by desquinn on topic Re: Interleaving on 2860n
Other option can you not put the ISP modem in modem mode on the the drayteks Wan 2 port and get the best of both.

Des Quinn

• timdf911
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jul 2022 21:12 #4 by timdf911
Replied by timdf911 on topic Re: Interleaving on 2860n
Thanks for the replies and ideas guys.

I have been in contact with Draytek tech support such as it is and they state my line does not support interleaving (I sent them a copy of the DSL status page) and thus there's nothing they can do to help.

I did point out to them that the VF modem was using interlacing and thus the line is capable of it, it's just that for some reason the DLM with the VF modem sets interlacing whereas with the Draytek it doesn't - very odd.

Anyway I'm using the VF modem as a dumb modem and feeding that into the Draytek such that I can set up static leases etc. I have 75 IP devices on my network and many of them need a fixed IP address.

I think I'll try one of the other firmwares to see what happens - but must say I was less than impressed with Drayteks technical support for what is a fairly clear cut problem.

Regards Tim

• timdf911
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Aug 2022 20:46 #5 by timdf911
Replied by timdf911 on topic Re: Interleaving on 2860n
Seems as though the 2860n is not a good choice when you're a long way from the cabinet, it was fine when I lived about 1/2 miles away - however despite giving good speed it was dropping 4 or 5 times a day and was not usable. Draytek technical support could not offer any help / advice.

I'm now using a Zyxel modem and the line is rock solid - the Draytek is now consigned to the 'junk pile'.

Regards Tim

• hornbyp
  • User
  • User
More
01 Aug 2022 23:07 #6 by hornbyp
Replied by hornbyp on topic Re: Interleaving on 2860n

timdf911 wrote:
I'm now using a Zyxel modem and the line is rock solid - the Draytek is now consigned to the 'junk pile'.

desquinn wrote:
Other option can you not put the ISP modem in modem mode on the the Draytek's Wan 2 port and get the best of both.

I use a Zyxel modem in Bridge-mode with a 2830n in a holiday home. I used the 2860n for many years with a Virgin Media Hub in 'Modem-mode'. If the built-in modem in the Draytek works ok, then that's good-but not the end of the world if it doesn't. Draytek's Routers offer so many more features than the ISP's freebie offerings....