DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 167 Line Drops

More
12 Jan 2024 06:26 #1 by sjhx
Vigor 167 Line Drops was created by sjhx
Hello, I've recently acquired a 167 modem for use with a FTTC/SoGEA line. I'm having a number of line drops, and the ISP are blaming the modem.
Their logs are showing User Request as the reason for the disconnection.

Is the 167 the correct modem for SoGEA FTTC? Should I be using a 130 or 166?

Thanks, Simon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2024 17:57 #2 by edinburgh
Replied by edinburgh on topic Re: Vigor 167 Line Drops
Test with a different modem. From experience, Draytek doesn't seem to be handing noisy UK lines well. Of course, the cause of your problems may be elsewhere, but I'd start with a different modem (different make).

More
29 Feb 2024 10:07 #3 by sjhx
Replied by sjhx on topic Re: Vigor 167 Line Drops
Thanks (very belatedly!) for the reply.

It seems that my (ECI) cabinet has had ReTX enabled, and looks like this is causing the disconnects.
After a short while, this was replaced with Interleaving - A month later back to ReTX and the disconnects.

I'll look for a new modem and hope Draytek address this with new firmware that supports ReTX on ECI cabs.

More
29 Feb 2024 11:40 #4 by edinburgh
Retx and interleaving suggest you have noise on the line. Once interleaving kicks in to improve the quality of the connection, then it stops after a period of improvement. Retx is about retransmission and its aim is to help, rather than not. However, interleaving is the last resort. That's why you see more disconnections when the interleaving isn't on.

Get in touch with your isp to find out if there is an issue on your line.

Remember lines are deemed suitable for operation if within parameters.

However, interleaving kicking in suggests a more serious issue.

Your drops occur in the evening and during the night, though it's not clear to me from the graph if during the period of stability, that's when interleaving was still on it not. If not and no changes in the management of the line, those drops could be due to something operating during those hours, I.e. 4pm until 8am. Heater, ultraviolet lamp, night light of some kind, CCTV camera, boiler on low? Also,more data would be needed to establish if it's regular, but also, if indeed caused by REIN, at your property or elsewhere.

All of the above are only possibilities, as you're only providing little information at a time (interleaving, for example). Plus, there may be other causes of the disconnect. So, your first step should be your isp and access to the GEA test results.

More
29 Feb 2024 12:57 #5 by sjhx
Replied by sjhx on topic Re: Vigor 167 Line Drops
ISP are saying there is no issue with the line, and interleaving is being applied due to the number of times the modem drops the line.

More
02 Mar 2024 17:50 #6 by edinburgh
I'd then try with a different modem.

My line had noise on it and Draytek didn't cope well with it (2762). I switched over to Fritzbox (7530) and the situation improved, though occasionally the line would still drop.

If the ISP is saying that there are no issues, then a period of stability would eventually result in interleaving being disabled.