DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2762 not fnding printer inux

• jamaas
  • Topic Author
More
17 Mar 2024 07:47 #1 by jamaas
2762 not fnding printer inux was created by jamaas
My broadband provider (Onestream uk) requires vlan login which most modem routers can not deal with. I have been using a tplink td-9960 and it generally works well but is slow. Thus I have replaced it with a DrayTek Vigor2763ac which also seems to work well and is quite fast. I run all computers on Ubuntu linux and can not find much support from Draytek for linux. The main problem is that the draytek router has blocked my computer from finding two peripheral devices that are connected to the router via ethernet cables. Connected to the router are three ethernet cables, 1) to this computer, works fine; 2) an okidata laser printer; and 3)a tplink powerline adapter that allows me to distribute broadband throughout the house via the electric wire system.

My problem is that when I change from the tplink router/modem to the Draytek I can no longer find the printer or use the powerline adapter, they are no longer connected. I have dug around and don't understand all of this but the draytek sets up some sort of dual lan system and assigns ip addresses to the printer and poweline adapter that can not be found by standard linux. For example when using the tplink router, the printer is assigned 192.168.1.101, and is visible and works fine but when I change to the draytek router it assigns it to 192.168.2.10 and it is not visible to cups.

I suspect there is a way "bridge" the two lan setups such that these peripheral devices will be visible to the computer connected to the draytek router. Any suggestions most welcome. Thx. J.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• HodgesanDY
  • Away
More
17 Mar 2024 12:27 #2 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic Re: 2762 not fnding printer inux
Hi jamaas,

Which router model are you using, only, you’ve listed two slightly different models. The title of the topic is 2762, but in the body of your post, you’ve called it a 2763!

Is your VLAN insertion (to your ISP provider) established within the WAN settings?

Is this unit a secondhand unit, that may have a legacy config?

Are your LAN ports all active, they can be disabled if not required; to stop someone physically connecting and gaining access to your network.

Have you setup additional LAN VLANs by mistake, in an attempt to get the WAN VLAN working?

Just some suggestions to consider.

• jamaas
  • Topic Author
More
18 Mar 2024 07:29 #3 by jamaas
Replied by jamaas on topic Re: 2762 not fnding printer inux
Thx. It is a 2762ac, my mistake. I did purchase it used, but have done a factory reset with the button, so there should not be old settings hanging around? I can check the other settings but not sure what they mean? J

• jamaas
  • Topic Author
More
18 Mar 2024 09:12 #4 by jamaas
Replied by jamaas on topic Re: 2762 not fnding printer inux
I think I fixed it, looks like this router is much more capable of anything I've used before with many more settings. So all this vlan and vlan configuration stuff with multiple vlans is new! So I

1) went to vlan "general setup" and unclicked all buttons for vlan2
2) then went to vlan configuration and set all buttons p1, p2, p3, and p4 to vlan0 (LAN1) and now all things plugged into ethernet ports are seen by the router.

J

• HodgesanDY
  • Away
More
18 Mar 2024 11:22 #5 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic Re: 2762 not fnding printer inux
Ok great, so yeah, as suspected, there were VLAN settings being applied to the ethernet ports. This does beg the question though, as to whether you enabled that at some point yourself, or, was the 'Reset' attempt unsuccessful!

On the 'LAN >> VLAN Configuration' page, you could simply just de-tick the 'Enable' option and the router will return to its generic LAN mode, whereas now, you have the VLANs enabled. Not a big deal, in fact, it means you're ready to start segregating your network if you so desire; which in my opinion will be rolled-out by ISPs (via their modem/routers) at some point in the not-too-distant future, as there are too many vulnerable IOT devices in people's domestic dwellings and even in small business environments.

VLANs allow you to steer packets around your network as they pass through switches and routers, effectively giving you isolated networks but all via the same physical cabling environment, ie, you don't need to run two lots of cables and switches for each separate network.

The packets get tagged with a marker when entering a VLAN capable network device and that marker is used to track the packet within the device making sure it leaves out of the correctly designated port or ports. Additionally, packets can be given universally recognised markers, called 'Tag IDs', which allow many differing ID tagged packets to be sent via a single port, or many ports, to other network devices that can also understand the Tag ID's and forward them on to their designated port, or ports, until the packet eventually reaches its intended device/node.

Tag IDs are best thought of as being used BETWEEN devices, rather than imagining them internally within a device, as devices will strip and add Tag IDs when and where they are required, kind of like a postal service sorting office, where a sorting office would have its own internal processing system yet the packages still leave the sorting office with their designated destination clearly labelled; and lets say “untagged” packet are kind of like a parcel that arrives at your door with the address label removed - because it is no longer needed; the package has reached its intended recipient.

Tagged packets have a marker(ID) added to them when leaving a device
Untagged packets have the marker removed or no marker added to them when leaving a device and are just plain old packets; because the device at the end doesn’t need to know, or doesn’t know how to process, the Tag ID.

On a quick search through your model's manual, I couldn't find an option to disable the ethernet ports, so that was a bum-steer by me, apologies; odd though, that it doesn't have that capability, of disabling unused ethernet ports.