• theia
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
15 Jan 2021 17:11 #1 by theia
:?
Hi,

I have read that BT is withdrawing analogue phone connections in 2025.
I understand that that is an obvious issue for businesses because they will need to change phone exchange systems and related things like EPoS machines, Intruder & fire alarms, (maybe Fax machines?) etc.

I do not understand how it will affect a home user.
As you can tell, I only have a basic grasp of the issues...

I understand the master socket splits the BT connection into a phone socket and the 'modem/router' connection to my Vigor2860ac router.
I *think* that it will not affect my internet broadband connection as this is using a 30Mbps connection via Zen UK. I think this is because it is DSL. i.e. Digital.

QUESTIONS
What I am not clear about is the phone that is also plugged into another extension BT wall socket.
Is this currently using an analogue connection?
How can I tell if the present phone will cope with a post 'analogue switch off' - or whether I need something different?
Will it need new connections or sockets, and will I still need the white ADSL connecter for the phone on the extension socket?

Excuse the simplicity of my language- as you can tell, I only have a basic grasp of things.
Can someone help clarify please?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jan 2021 17:28 #2 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Simple question about BT analogue switch off
Simple answer to that is , throw away the old extension phone, rip out the wiring. They should have been removed 20 years ago as they can have a serious negative impact on your broadband connection.

Use DECT phones that require no extension wiring. Your ISP will be able to tell you all you need to know before the switch happens and that will depend on which service you have , FTTC or FTTP.

• adrianh54
  • User
  • User
More
31 Jan 2021 11:27 #3 by adrianh54
Replied by adrianh54 on topic Re: Simple question about BT analogue switch off
https://www.draytek.co.uk/information/blog/the-end-of-analogue-phone-lines-pt1

There is now a blog article from DrayTek linked on this forum.