Unknown DNS query type?

• qwaz01
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Jul 2021 16:14 #1 by qwaz01
Unknown DNS query type? was created by qwaz01
I have a found a few older posts on this topic but no real firm answer.

We have an internal Windows DNS server using 9.9.9.9 and 8.8.8.8 for forwarders and I have create two firewall rules, one to allow all DNS traffic (TCP&UPD 53) to these IP's and one to block everything else on TCP&UDP 53. I have enabled syslog only on the block rule (not on allow rule) but whilst monitoring the syslog I keep getting [Pass][Unknown DNS query type] entries? Any ideas?

Router is v3910 on firmware 3.9.6.3

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2021 14:09 #2 by chrisw
Replied by chrisw on topic Re: Unknown DNS query type?
I don't have an answer to this, except to say I see the same on my 2860 router. I use a Pi-Hole for my DNS and, much like you, have blocked all port 53 outgoing except for requests originated by the Pi-Hole [Android devices in particular seem to think it is their divine right to phone home and use 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 for DNS!].
Periodically it seems that a perfectly legitimate DNS request gets 'logged' exactly as you indicate. I can't say what triggers this as the router seems to sniff all DNS requests that pass through (as can be seen in web syslog type 'User') but for some reason certain domain names seem to appear more than others in the syslog [Pass][Unknown DNS query type].

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.