DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek Vigor 3910 vs Ubiquiti

• eveares
  • Topic Author
More
12 Sep 2021 22:10 #1 by eveares
Draytek Vigor 3910 vs Ubiquiti was created by eveares
Hi all, my main firewall is currently a Untangle device.

I am considering switching my main firewall away from Untangle and either replacing it with Draytek or Ubiquity. The main reason for this, is that it does not route properly between different IPSec site-2-site VPNs and Leaves Site A unable to access site C, with site B being me in the middle. I have traced this and packets seem to reach but not cross the two site-2-site VPN's on my Untangle firewall.

Also, I get a lot of VPN disconnect/reconnect events in the Untangle FW despite the WAN lines being stable at both ends, what I think is due to some compatibility issue with the Untangle.

Thus, I need help weighing up what's best. I am thinking either Ubiquity Edge Router 12 vs Draytek Vigor 3910.

On one hand I have used Draytek gear before and know it very well and that it will solve my issues. At the same time, Having used Unifi for Wi-Fi for the last year, I really like the metrics/data it gives me and the overall feel of the UI, although know that the Edge series of routers is not managed by a Unifi controller.

My requirements are:

1) Support for site-2-site VPN's to 3rd party devices like Draytek, and the ability to easily route between different IPSec VPN Tunnels. i.e. Draytek Site A <----VPN Tunnel---> My Site B <----VPN Tunnel---> Draytek Site C; Site A and Site C need to see each other.

2) Dual Gigabit WAN with automatic failover. Support for PPPoE is needed.

3) VLAN and multiple subnet Support

4) Decent firewall with the ability to block on countries and URL's.

5) Support for client VPN's

6) Be overall very reliable and very stable

7) DHCP server functionality

What is best to meet my needs? Draytek vs Ubiquity.

Regards: Elliott.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• eveares
  • Topic Author
More
15 Sep 2021 02:35 #2 by eveares
Replied by eveares on topic Re: Draytek Vigor 3910 vs Ubiquiti
Update, have just purchased a Vigor 2962 as that is ample for my needs. Don't think consumers will get 10G broadband for decades, if ever, so the Vigor 3910 did not make much sense.

Also, I liked the to be released LACP feature that is coming on the 2962.

Regards: Elliott.

More
18 Sep 2021 14:15 #3 by pharcyder
Replied by pharcyder on topic Re: Draytek Vigor 3910 vs Ubiquiti

eveares wrote:
Don't think consumers will get 10G broadband for decades, if ever, so the Vigor 3910 did not make much sense.

Never say never. Just deployed in my area :D

https://www.swishfibre.com

Moderators: Sami