DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

IP Address ranges for DrayTek Wireless LANs

• stevendt
  • Topic Author
More
26 Jan 2022 16:19 #1 by stevendt
Hi,

Hopefully, someone can help me with a networking question please?

I have a DrayTek Vigor2860Vn+ ADSL Router.

The Router is attached to a Windows Domain in which DHCP is done by the Domain Controllers and the DHCP function of the DrayTek router is turned off.

I have a number of Wireless Networks configured on the router who pick up their IP addresses through the router from the DHCP server.

There is a single LAN configured on the router and the Wireless Networks all pick up addresses in that range (192.168.1.x).

I can't see how a different address range can be used by a new Wireless LAN?

I would like to setup another LAN to give segregation between some machines that I want to put on a different subnet, say, 192.168.2.x and the existing LAN address range.

The Router's configuration screens suggest that I can set up another LAN with the address range needed and have the router do DHCP for this LAN. However, I can't see how Wireless clients on a new Wireless Network could be pointed to the 192.168.2.x network?

Is what I am trying to do possible? i.e., can I set the LAN for a Wireless network, or does it default to the first network and cannot be changed?

regards
Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2022 17:39 #2 by admin3
This guide is a little bit old, but it covers what you're wanting to do quite well and is applicable to your router model: https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-wireless-guestnetwork

Essentially, don't change the DHCP settings for LAN1, but do set up LAN2 and enable DHCP for LAN2 on the router. That won't interfere with your LAN1's DHCP.
Then from there, go to [LAN] > [VLAN] setup
  • For VLAN1, set that to link to LAN2. Don't enable the VLAN tag option for VLAN0 or VLAN1.

• Link SSID2 / guest network SSID number to the VLAN1 rather than VLAN0

Forum Administrator

• stevendt
  • Topic Author
More
28 Jan 2022 17:55 #3 by stevendt
Hi,

thanks a lot for the info, that's done it!

I'd missed the fact that I needed to set up a separate VLAN but have now got it working.

[I did break the network for a while when I erroneously enabled VLAN tagging, but that's a whole different question that I need to read up on. It sounds like there's quite a bit of work to configure tagged VLANs, which is something I know nothing about (what's new?). Having a number of switches on the network, it sound like creating tagged VLANs needs quite a bit of configuration.]

regards
Dave

Moderators: Sami