• head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
02 Jul 2022 17:15 #1 by head
Hello,

I'm a little confused. Draytek's website says:

(1) The Vigor 130 is a pre-configured VDSL2 / ADSL2+ modem that takes a VDSL2 or ADSL2+ connection and performs full pass-through / bridge to Ethernet presentation.
This implies that the 130 is already a 'bridge', no?

(2) If required, the Vigor 130 can be easily reconfigured into Bridge Mode so that it behaves in a similar way to the Openreach FTTC (Fiber To The Cabinet) modem.
And this implies that the Vigor 130, which is already a 'bridge' according to (1) above, can also be "reconfigured into Bridge Mode"...

The use of the word "bridge" to describe both the default state and the reconfigured 'bridge mode' state is confusing, so I'd really like to know what this means and what the "reconfigured Bridge Mode" actually does (apart from apparently disabling the Vigor 130's DHCP server).

Please could somebody therefore explain the difference between the default "pass-though/bridge" mode and the reconfigured "Bridge Mode" that Draytek suggest you have the option to use?

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• piste basher
  • Away
More
03 Jul 2022 09:56 #2 by piste basher
You may find that this description is more helpful than the 130 documentation. I suspect that "as supplied" the 130 is in "bridge mode", whereas ticking the box for "bridge mode" puts it into "full bridge mode" 8)

"There are 2 types of Bridge Mode, with regular "Bridge Mode" being the easier one to use, which is utilised in this setup guide:

Bridge Mode In this mode, the modem passes through the PPPoE or DHCP/Static IP connection directly to any connected LAN devices. This does not require the connected router to provide a VLAN tag if the ISP requires it. Instead the modem handles all of this and the connected router simply uses the connection without providing a VLAN tag.
In this mode, services outside of the Internet connection are passed through including IPTV, for instance BT TV.

Full-Bridge Mode In this more advanced mode, the modem also passes through the PPPoE or DHCP/Static IP connection, directly to the connected router. It differs in that the connected router can if desired, provide the VLAN tag required to connect to the Internet. This can be useful in scenarios where the ISP provides multiple services through the one connection, or where Q-in-Q VLAN tagging is used.
One benefit of this mode with DrayTek Vigor routers, is that potentially, the connected router can open two connections, one for Internet access and another, Multi-VLAN / Multi-PVC connection used for accessing the modem's web interface. Learn more about that capability here."

You can find this here https://draytek.co.uk/support/guides/kb-router-as-dsl-modem

• head
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
01 Aug 2022 19:16 #3 by head
Thanks very much for taking the time to explain this.
It's been immensely helpful and greatly appreciated.

More
12 Mar 2024 10:04 #4 by joe_have_a_go
Which bridge mode should I use to connect to now tv please? I have the second one I believe by doing the mpoe thing as now I cannot access the the admin panel for the Vigor 130. I am using ASUS expertEbR63 and cannot connect to the internet.

I have visited the Draytek set up page for sky/now tv that tells me how to put it into bridge mode.
Do I need to tell the asus router somewhere to use dhcp 61?
Many thanks