DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

LAN and WiFi devices are isolated

• 0weavern
  • Topic Author
More
05 Aug 2023 12:40 #1 by 0weavern
LAN and WiFi devices are isolated was created by 0weavern
I've just re-setup my network on a Vigor 2866Lac and have added a VLAN for IoT devices, alongside a separate WiFi for IoT devices. Everything seems to work OK and has access to the internet, except when my devices are on WiFi, they cannot see LAN connected devices. I've attached an image of the VLAN setup, port 5 and SSID2 are on LAN2 and everything else is on LAN1, no VLAN tags used.

When I have a device connected to SSID1 (LAN1) it cannot see, ping or connect to LAN devices on LAN1. When I connect a device to a LAN port, it can see the LAN devices.

• All devices are on the same subnet (192.168.10.xx 255.255.255.0).

• WiFi isolation is only on for SSID3

• Inter-LAN routing is on (LAN1/2) for the purposes of diagnostic, and no firewall rules have been setup to block this

I'm banging my head against a brick wall trying to solve this and cannot, for the life of me, see where the issue is. Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2023 16:37 #2 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: LAN and WiFi devices are isolated
I can't see anything obviously wrong with that set up - can a device on SSID 1 (e.g. a phone) not even access the router admin page?

• 0weavern
  • Topic Author
More
05 Aug 2023 19:25 #3 by 0weavern
Replied by 0weavern on topic Re: LAN and WiFi devices are isolated
Yup, getting to the router admin is all fine. It's just devices connected via LAN aren't reachable/pingable. It's all very odd and shouldn't be a reason for it.

When trying to connect to a LAN device via something on SSID, it do first get the standard Chrome warning of "The connection to 192.168.10.xx is not secure. You are seeing this warning because this site does not support HTTPS." but after clicking continue to site, I get the Site cannot be reached error, and no responses from pings.

More
06 Aug 2023 08:54 #4 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic Re: LAN and WiFi devices are isolated
Hi 0weavern,

I can see, from your screenshot, you’ve only selected 2.4Ghz Wifi in the VLAN setup. Have you disabled 5Ghz Wifi?

Even if you have, I would still match the VLAN SSID selection of the 2.4Ghz onto the 5Ghz selection too, at least you won’t encounter more problems later when/if you do enable the 5Ghz Wifi.

Also, have you tried disabling the inter-LAN connection selection, as a test, to quickly factor that out of the situation, worth a try.

You said you’ve made sure “Isolate Member” is NOT-ticked in the Wifi general setup page, which was my first thought, but make sure this is the same on both 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz setup pages, these will/should nearly always be matching.

Also, do you have any external devices connected to this setup, i.e. external switches or WIFI access points?

More
06 Aug 2023 08:58 #5 by piste basher
Replied by piste basher on topic Re: LAN and WiFi devices are isolated
and just out of interest, what happens if you enable VLAN tagging?

More
06 Aug 2023 09:29 #6 by HodgesanDY
Replied by HodgesanDY on topic Re: LAN and WiFi devices are isolated
The VLAN tagging will only be necessary if you’re selecting multiple VLANs for a specific port or ports and/or an SSID or SSIDs.

The tagging just enables you to tag and untag when sending a number of different VLANs via one, or more, physical connections. The tagging ID is attached to the packet for identification throughout its journey across the network, where it can be processed through, or at, each device it encounters until it reaches its desired final path.

Moderators: Sami