2820Vn no PSTN Called ID forwarding, possible solution

• mrt0ad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
16 Dec 2008 19:40 #1 by mrt0ad
Hi all.

After several months not being able to figure out why my 2820Vn would "forward" Caller ID from VoIP calls but wouldn't from PSTN calls, on Sunday, by sheer accident, I found a solution.

Now, please take this with a pinch of salt, because I can't yet establish cause/effect relationship, and there's nothing more likely to piss off someone having problems than misinformation.

I re-wired the internal telephone cables in my home, in the quest for getting the best possible signal. For this I got some cat5e cable and one of those BT master socket faceplate replacements with built-in filter.

I wired the un-filtered DSL signal and the filtered telephone signal separately, leaving the ring wire connected on the telephone signal cable.

The lead I was using before to connect the telephone socket to the "line" socket in the router had only two wires, and in fact the "pigtail" filter I was using before didn't even have the ring wire, but this time I made one with three wires, channel "A", channel "B" and ring wire.

Now the PSTN Caller ID passthrough is working. I made no changes in the router configuration/firmware, just the wiring.

Now, I don't know, because I haven't checked it, whether the original lead had the channels "A" and "B" crossed, and that's why the Caller ID didn't work, or it's because you need the ring wire for it to work.

Either way, this is the pinout that worked for me and sorted out the problem:

I've sent this information to Draytek support, as they are the telco engineers, I'm just the donkey that blew the flute in the bushes.

Hopefully they'll come out with a definite answer on why this particular cable made the feature work or, even better, it may provide a clue that leads to a definite solution for all who experience the problem.

In the meanwhile, if you are experiencing the problem, feel free to try :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pwarm
  • User
  • User
More
22 Dec 2008 12:25 #2 by pwarm
Replied by pwarm on topic 2820 VOIP POTS passthrough
Read this with interest.

Didnt get a line to POTS cable with my 2820Vn. Tried various cables but whilst dialling *0 gives a click in router : no PTSn dial tone.

Can you let me have the pin connections the other ( BT) end?.

Ill try a new cable. Thanks!

pete warm

• mrt0ad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Dec 2008 00:22 #3 by mrt0ad
Replied by mrt0ad on topic Re: 2820 VOIP POTS passthrough

pwarm wrote: Can you let me have the pin connections the other ( BT) end?

This is the pinout for the BT connector:

• mrt0ad
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Dec 2008 00:31 #4 by mrt0ad
BTW, although this is rather O/T, and I'm hijacking my own thread, with the filtered faceplate and not wiring the ring wire for the un-filtered DSL signal I went from:

Down speed: 5600000
SNR Margin: 16
Loop Att.: 27

to:

Down speed: 6080000
SNR Margin: 16
Loop Att.: 27

Pity that with the new firmware it won't synchronize with lower SNR margin than 15-16... with the old one would synchronize @9-10 SNR Margin, 766xxxx :(

• kuffs
  • User
  • User
More
22 Jan 2010 17:39 #5 by kuffs
Does anybody know where I can get one of these 3-wire cables?

I too cannot get Caller ID to be forwarded when a call comes in on the PSTN line.

I only seem to be able to find 2 wire cables.

Thanks