Vigor 2820vn doesn't ring for incoming VoIP, PSTN does

• simonbrighton
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
05 Jun 2009 20:30 #1 by simonbrighton
Hi everyone,

I have today installed a Vigor 2820vn and I'm very happy with it. Amazingly it replaces 5 boxes in my home "rack":

1) Draytek 100 ADSL modem
2) Linksys Wireless AP
3) 3com Switch
4) MiniITX based Monowall router
5) MiniITX based Askozia (Asterisk for embedded) PBX

I am having just one problem. My analogue phone doesn't ring on an incoming VoIP call. The "Phone 1" LED on the Vigor flashes and if I pick up the phone I answer the call without issue, it just doesn't ring and the screen on the phone remains blank.

It works fine for an incoming PSTN call however.

I have tried connecting with the standard BT plug to the Draytek supplied "Phone 1/ Phone 2" adaptor into the RJ11 on the Draytek and also with a separate RJ11 to RJ11 direct into the Draytek with exactly the same results in each case.

I have also tried adjusting the "Dial tone power level" and "Ring Frequency" and set the region to "UK" in the phone advanced setting screen all to no avail.

The manual says that when there is an incoming call the status on the Draytek should be "Alerting", on mine it says "Processing". I'm not sure if that is relevant.

I have upgraded to the latest firmware today which is 3.3.1.2_232201 from May 12 2009.

I have read some older threads on this forum, particularly from Lorian, about older model Drayteks that suggests that I might need a BT to RJ11 cable with a ringing capacitor to make this work. I think I've found a suitable adaptor here:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=12492&C=SO&U=strat15

However, I don't understand why this would be required... Surely it is a key feature of a phone to ring on an incoming call? Doesn't the supplied cabling allow this to work?

I also wonder how a PSTN call can work but the Draytek can't if this is the problem.

On top of that a friend of mine has an identical Draytek Vigor 2820vn and his works fine with a cheap DECT phone from Argos. He didn't need any additional adaptors, etc.

Is it the case that my DECT phone is somehow different to his and I need to buy this adaptor to make it work? Or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely?

Any help would be gratefully received. Many thanks

Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• macavity
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jun 2009 11:49 #2 by macavity
Have you tried another phone to confirm that the router is sending the ringing signal?

• simonbrighton
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jun 2009 12:55 #3 by simonbrighton
Replied by simonbrighton on topic Vigor 2820vn doesn't ring for incoming VoIP, PSTN does

Macavity wrote: Have you tried another phone to confirm that the router is sending the ringing signal?

Hi Macavity,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried a different phone (£12.50 Argos Value DECT phone) which rings fine.

I also put a circuit tester on the midde two pins of the phone cable. When a standard BT socket rings the voltage goes from 1 volt to -1 volt (polarity reverses).

On the Draytek's analogue port the polarity changes in the same way but then flashes down to a lower voltage on each ring.

I'm wondering if it doesn't hold the reverse polarity quite long enough for my phone (£180 Philips DECT phone) to ring. This PDF seems to suggest it might need 200ms of the reversed polarity before it will ring. http://www.clare.com/home/pdfs.nsf/www/an-118.pdf/$file/an-118.pdf

I'll try fiddling with the settings on the Draytek in this regard and see if I can make any progress.

Thanks again for your reply

Simon

• simonbrighton
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
07 Jun 2009 13:34 #4 by simonbrighton
Replied by simonbrighton on topic Vigor 2820vn doesn't ring for incoming VoIP, PSTN does

SimonBrighton wrote:
I'm wondering if it doesn't hold the reverse polarity quite long enough for my phone (£180 Philips DECT phone) to ring. This PDF seems to suggest it might need 200ms of the reversed polarity before it will ring. http://www.clare.com/home/pdfs.nsf/www/an-118.pdf/$file/an-118.pdf

I'll try fiddling with the settings on the Draytek in this regard and see if I can make any progress.

No joy. The UK settings already had 400 as the "T on 1" setting. Increasing this more doesn't help.

I'm a bit stuck.

• itmetrics
  • User
  • User
More
18 Jan 2010 22:37 #5 by itmetrics
Did this issue ever get resolved ?

I also have a 2820VN and can happily make (xxx@draytel.org) voip and normal phone calls, but I cannot get my analgue phone to ring at all.

Like the raiser of this issue, I can see the led on the router signal that an incoming call is there but the darn phone just wont ring.

I am very sure that it used too so I am wondering if the facility has been broken buy a recent firmware upgrade?

I am now using firmware "232201_A Hardware: Annex A".

This is a real pain for me as I was hoping to piggy-back the phone line over an external CAT6 cable that will run for 60m from my house to my office. I currently using one of those "powerline" boxes to route my network but the signal get so degraded over time that a decent voip call is impossible when I have my normal business web/upload/download active.

I wonder whether the 2820VN uses 3 out of the 6 phone wires rather than just the 2 that are necessary to support UK phones?

Feedback would be much appreciated.

Regards Steve

• simonbrighton
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
18 Jan 2010 22:40 #6 by simonbrighton
No joy for me with the expensive Philips - I just carried on using the £12.50 Argos Value DECT phone. That works fine!