DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

VoIP Starting point needed for Newbee please

• allat39
  • Topic Author
More
22 Oct 2009 16:11 #1 by allat39
Hi guys,

I am unfamiliar with VoIP and how to set it up on a Vigor 2820.
Before I start, I would appreciate answers to a few basic questions for clarification:

1. Is this like Skype - or is Skpe a version of VoIp?

2. Is the idea to plug in a phone into the router - or is VoIp referring to using Miccrophone etc on each computer?

3. Out of ALL the guides, which one would you recommend to read in order to set it up?

Thanks in advance

Pete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• spence
  • User
  • User
More
22 Oct 2009 17:19 #2 by spence

1. Is this like Skype - or is Skpe a version of VoIp?

It's a bit like Skype, but unlike Skype the person on the other end doesn't need a VOIP phone - they can be on another VOIP service or on a standard PSTN system. However, Skype isn't a version of VOIP, as it uses different protocols.

2. Is the idea to plug in a phone into the router - or is VoIp referring to using Miccrophone etc on each computer?

You can do either. Assuming the 2820 version you have has POTS sockets (I'm using a 2800 which does), you can simply plug a standard phone into the socket, subscribe to a VOIP service, and use it just like a standard phone.

You can also install one of the many software phones onto your PC use that instead.

These are not necessarily recommendations, but I use Sipgate for receiving calls and SMSListo for outgoing calls. Reason is I get a local number supplied by Sipgate, which I can't get from SMSListo at the moment. On the other hand SMSListo call charges are cheaper. I pay 15 euro into the account (the minimum you can pay in) and get UK mobiles at 5p/minute, UK landlines for free, and for the first 90 days after topping up get free UK calls and to some other locations (e.g. US, Spain). After the free 90 days you start paying the extortionate rate of 0.5p/min to Spain :). They have rates published on their web site.

Just Bing/Google Sipgate, Betamax and SMSListo (SMSListo is one of a number of service providers which work under the Betamax ggroup.

3. Out of ALL the guides, which one would you recommend to read in order to set it up?

I got most of my info from a UK VOIP newgroup which I haven't used for months now. A whole bunch of helpful people there. If you don't get any other suggestions, Bing/Google are your friends.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.