Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820vn Two SIP accounts?

• willowtreedesign
  • Topic Author
More
14 Dec 2009 14:10 #1 by willowtreedesign
2820vn Two SIP accounts? was created by willowtreedesign
Hello,

I have to say from the start that I don't understand a lot of what is written on this forum, my understanding of routers, IP addresses, and generally technical stuff is very limited. All of that said, I have managed to set up my Vigor 2820vn with a draytel account which has been working like a dream for about a year.

I would like to be able to set up another draytel account using the same router and have both accounts running at the same time. One account for home and the other for business. Is this possible?

I have a socket on the router labeled 'Phone1/2' which I am assuming means that I can have two phone lines but can't seem to get my head around it.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• olejnik_uk
  • User
  • User
More
15 Dec 2009 22:29 #2 by olejnik_uk
Replied by olejnik_uk on topic 2820vn Two SIP accounts?
yes, it is possible.

You can have two Phones connected to the 2820Vn. With the 2820, you can have up to 12 VOIP accounts (why you would want so many is beyond me).... Then on the SIP Account heading on the router, you can select which account uses which phone. (phone 1 or phone 2)

If you wanted, you can have both your work and personal sip account using one phone.

Hope this helps.

• willowtreedesign
  • Topic Author
More
16 Dec 2009 16:04 #3 by willowtreedesign
Replied by willowtreedesign on topic 2820vn Two SIP accounts?
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I have set up another SIP account, configured it in to the router and it has registered fine.

In the phone settings I have Phone1 set to SIP account 1 and Phone2 set to SIP account 2. All good so far.

The problem I have now is that the router only has one phone RJ11 socket labeled Phone1/2 and so I am assuming that phone ports 1 and 2 share the same socket.

I have use an RJ11 splitter adaptor to allow me to plug two phones into the one socket as per the user guide but can't see how I get one of the phones to work on port1 and the other on port2.

At the moment both of the phones are linked to the same Phone1 SIP account and none to the Phone2 SIP account.

If I pick up either phone receiver the Phone1 light on the router becomes illuminated.

If I try calling the number for the new SIP account using my mobile phone then the light on the router for Phone2 flashes showing an incoming call but neither of the phones that I have connected ring. It looks as though all I need to do is connect a phone to Phone2

Any ideas?

More
16 Dec 2009 17:23 #4 by drewy
Replied by drewy on topic 2820vn Two SIP accounts?
there should have been a special splitter supplied with the 2820. This does split the 2 "lines" out to different ports.

• willowtreedesign
  • Topic Author
More
16 Dec 2009 17:31 #5 by willowtreedesign
Replied by willowtreedesign on topic 2820vn Two SIP accounts?
Thanks.

That would explain it.

I didn't receive a splitter when I purchased the 2820vn router.

Anyone know how to modify a normal splitter? Failing that how I get hold of one the special ones?

More
16 Dec 2009 17:39 #6 by drewy
Replied by drewy on topic 2820vn Two SIP accounts?
give it a couple of days, if no one replies with an answer I'll get the multimeter out and check mine. I don't suppose the "splitting" involves any rocket science.