DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Using Draytek 2800 as a voip ATA

• rich20b
  • Topic Author
More
01 Jan 2010 22:43 #1 by rich20b
Using Draytek 2800 as a voip ATA was created by rich20b
Having recently switched to BE for my broadband I'm forced to use their crappy BE box rather than my trusty Draytek 2800 due to the well-publicised incompatibility between BE and the 2800 - I'm on the cheapo option so can't change the line profile or the INP values.

I'd like to use the VOIP ports on my now spare 2800 - effectively turning the 2800 into an ATA (analogue telephone adaptor), meaning that I can use the voip ports on the Draytek but route the calls out through the BE box.

I've tried configuring the second IP of the LAN port, disabling DHCP on the Draytek and connecting the two router's LAN ports together - effectively bridging the WAN and LAN sides of the Draytek. The Draytek works fine as a switch for the LAN, though there doesn't seem to be any way of changing the default route on the Draytek to be the BE box.

I've found a couple of threads about this - http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=12932 and http://www.forum.draytek.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=3669 being examples, though nobody seems to have solved it. I know the newer 2820 routers have a second WAN port that I could plug into the BE box, though I may as well buy a cheap ATA in this case.

Is there no way to configure a default route on the LAN for SIP calls? Adding a static route doesn't seem to work as 0.0.0.0 isn't considered 'valid'.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2010 16:51 #2 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Using Draytek 2800 as a voip ATA
Is there a "Register Via.." option on the SIP setup, i.e. register via LAN or WAN setting ?

Forum Administrator

• rich20b
  • Topic Author
More
02 Jan 2010 18:15 #3 by rich20b
Replied by rich20b on topic Using Draytek 2800 as a voip ATA

admin wrote: Is there a "Register Via.." option on the SIP setup, i.e. register via LAN or WAN setting ?

There is, though the problem is that the router doesn't 'know' how to route via the LAN to the other router. If the SIP server was on the LAN that it would work fine, the problem is changing the default route to be a LAN ip rather than using the Draytek's WAN connection.

Thanks

• willow
  • User
  • User
More
04 Jan 2010 11:38 #4 by willow
Replied by willow on topic Using Draytek 2800 as a voip ATA
edit*

Sorry, model number fail

More
05 Jan 2010 00:08 #5 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Using Draytek 2800 as a voip ATA
Oops, yes, good point, but maybe you can also set a static route to the outside world via the other router.

Forum Administrator