DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

echo on PSTN passthrough call

• damienf
  • Topic Author
More
04 Jan 2010 23:22 #1 by damienf
echo on PSTN passthrough call was created by damienf
I bought my vigor 2820vn a month ago, and I'm very happy with it. However, I have a small snag:
I've hooked up my PSTN line to it last week, and subscribed to one of the betamax VOIP shop (actionvoip.com) for most of my outgoing calls, I still rely on PSTN for all incoming and local outgoing calls.
When I make or receive a call through PSTN, my voice is fed back to me as an echo and the other party usually complains that my voice is broken up. This echo usually disappear after a while (at most 20 seconds) and I could reduce its duration (but not elimate it) by bringing down the volume on my philips DECT phone and by setting the speaker/mic gains to 3/3 on the vigor.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and how it was resolved.
BTW, I live in the rep. of ireland, I just wonder if the vigor supports the irish PSTN interface properly. I have no other problems, Dial Plan, CLRID works fine for either PSTN or SIP calls [took me a while to figure out how to configure the outgoing CLRID on the betamax SIP proxy ;)]

Model Name : Vigor2820Vn
Firmware Version : 3.3.3_232201
Build Date/Time : Oct 23 2009 15:23:15
ADSL Firmware Version : 232201_A Hardware: Annex A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
28 Jan 2010 23:45 #2 by asimm.it
Replied by asimm.it on topic echo on PSTN passthrough call
Hi Damien,

I've experienced similar issues on the IPPBX 2820 using VigorPhone 350's.
The IPPBX 2820 is routing calls aross ISDN Trunks and not SIP Trunks.

We too have managed to reduce it by playing around with speaker/mic gains but every now and then it re-appears.

It's interesting to hear that your experiencing similar issues using an Analogue DECT phone on your 2820vn as I thought it might have been the firmware on the VigorPhone 350's causing the issue but it may possibly be something to do with the actual 2820's instead.

Are you still experiencing this issue?

P.S We're in the UK, I don't think it's an issue with your Irish PSTN.

• damienf
  • Topic Author
More
15 Feb 2010 22:25 #3 by damienf
Replied by damienf on topic echo on PSTN passthrough call
Yeah, I'm still experiencing this issue but only sporadically. I can't really explain what conditions causes this, but, from experience, I'm more likely to get an echo if the other party is using a landline rather than a mobile phone.

Damien

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
16 Feb 2010 08:15 #4 by asimm.it
Hi Damien,

That is the same issue we have experiences.

Have you enabled QoS for your phones on the router at all (Not that this should be able to distinquish the difference between mobile and landline calls) but I am just interested in your current setup.

• damienf
  • Topic Author
More
16 Feb 2010 20:17 #5 by damienf
Replied by damienf on topic echo on PSTN passthrough call
No, i dont have any QoS rules for my phones, I fail to see how this could help with PSTN passthrough, which shouldn't come near the router network stack.
I think this is unnecessary for SIP as well, as I believe the 2820vn prioritizes VoIP over data.

Damien

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
17 Feb 2010 16:58 #6 by asimm.it

damienf wrote: No, i dont have any QoS rules for my phones, I fail to see how this could help with PSTN passthrough, which shouldn't come near the router network stack.
I think this is unnecessary for SIP as well, as I believe the 2820vn prioritizes VoIP over data.

Damien

Hi Damien,

i didn't say it could help with PSTN passthrough. I actually said that

asimm.it wrote: Have you enabled QoS for your phones on the router at all (Not that this should be able to distinquish the difference between mobile and landline calls) but I am just interested in your current setup.

The reason I ask is that while I have found no explanation to experiencing the same issue as you the IPPBX 2820 uses some of the same technology as your 2820vn, an understanding of your phone set up might be able to isolate the issue. We are using IP phones (which do touch the network stack as they are plugged into ethernet ports), are you using analogue phones plugged into FXS1/FXS2 if so it is interesting that your setup is experiencing the same issues.

This would mean that it is more than likely something to do with 2820 chipset/firmware rather than a settings issue such as mic/speaker gain etc.