Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Hissing on 2100VG VoIP

• swinster
  • Topic Author
More
25 Feb 2010 10:04 #1 by swinster
Hissing on 2100VG VoIP was created by swinster
Hi,

For a long time I have noted a hissing (like a constant static/white noise) when picking up the receiver on the phone connected to the VoIP port on this router. This has never really bothered me as I haven't used the VoIP feature too much and simply dial "#0" to switch to PSTN, which is perfectly clear.

However, I am now in a position to wish to utilise the VoIP features and would like to see if I can resolve this issue. Interestingly, the hissing can be heard on the phone even with everything else unplugged from the router (but with the router powered obviously).

The label under the phone shows:

VoIP module: FXS

Which doesn't relate to any of the model numbers listed on the website firmware download page, hence the reason for installing the 2.6.2_(2)(3) firmware revision.

I believe that the original reason I upgraded the firmware was that I was having issues with the WiFi functionality, but I'm pretty sure that the hissing wasn't apparent prior to the firmware upgrade.

Many thanks

Chris

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2010 12:50 #2 by waynelanchester
Replied by waynelanchester on topic Hissing on 2100VG VoIP
Hi,

I also have a 2100VG that had a lot of background noise on the VoIP line.

I tracked my problem down to the PSU. It was the newer style "switched-mode" type. I replaced it with a standard "transformer" type & the noise was gone.

Draytek do sell replacement PSU's, but I would check with them which type they are going to send you to make sure it's going to help.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Wayne

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami