DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Softphone to PSTN

More
20 Sep 2010 19:02 #7 by candl
Replied by candl on topic Softphone to PSTN

Hi - Can I connect a softphone on my PC to the 2820Vn which has a PSTN line connected? (using fxo?)

If you were thinking that you could use the softphone to route/answer calls from the PSTN then I'm afraid the answer is no. Your softphone needs to register with a SIP server, the 2820 doesn't provide one. It has a SIP client which allows the FXS ports to connect to a remote SIP server, in addition it allows the FXS ports to route directly ( at an analogue level ) to the FXO port.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hepple
  • Topic Author
More
20 Sep 2010 19:28 #8 by hepple
Replied by hepple on topic Softphone to PSTN
thanks, so even with a sip registration to a remote sip server could I not route to the FXO port with a softphone? Would the 2820PBX do this?

PPS - is there an upgrade route from the 2820vn to the IPPBX?

More
21 Sep 2010 08:23 #9 by candl
Replied by candl on topic Softphone to PSTN

so even with a sip registration to a remote sip server could I not route to the FXO port with a softphone?

No, you can only route out to the PSTN via the remote servers gateway.

I'm not sure about the 2820PBX ? I've no experience but looking at the details I would have to say no

for calls to the conventional phone network (PSTN) you route via an ITSP 'Trunk' for low cost calls (for example DrayTEL).

It looks like it does have a sip server to allow IP phones ( and I assume softphones ) to connect to it but still doesnt have the abiliity to route calls to the PSTN via the local FXO port. It looks like calls need to be routed via a remote SIP trunk to an external provider.

Hope that helps.

More
21 Sep 2010 09:07 #10 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Softphone to PSTN

hepple wrote: It says FXO on the site? whats going on?

Got it, thanks, but like others have said, it still won't do what you want as it's not a PBX or SIP 'server' so can't terminate a SIP call from a sip client.

Forum Administrator