Vigor 2820Vn and BT Business Total Broadband VOIP

• gamaha
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
27 Nov 2010 10:17 #1 by gamaha
Hi,

I'm looking at transferring one of our customers away from their BT 2700HGV 'twowire' device over to a Vigor 2820Vn. I'm struggling to find the settings such as 'realm' from the BT side of things and BT refuse to give these out as using a different router is 'not supported'.

Has anyone had any experience with this ? I'm going to be looking at the two routers shortly and hope to establish the settings myself but a quick glance yesterday seemed to indicate that the settings aren't immediatley visible on the BT-supplied device.

Thanks,

Gareth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Nov 2010 13:46 #2 by candl
You might find these 2 posts useful
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/voip/2660761-bt-talk-working-on-3com-router-with-linksys-pap2.html?vc=1
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/voip/3108547-bt-broadband-voice-and-asterisk.html
This

SIPTransportProtocol=UDP
SIPTransportPort=5060
SIPRegistrarAddress=btsip.bt.com
SIPRegistrarPort=5060
SIPOutboundProxyAddress=sip.btsip.bt.net
SIPOutboundProxyPort=5060
SIPProxyAddress=btsip.bt.com
SIPProxyPort=5060
SIPPhoneNumber1=44*********
SIPCallerName1=
SIPUsername1=44**********@btsip.bt.com
SIPPassword1=*************
SIPPhoneNumber2=
SIPCallerName2=
SIPUsername2=
SIPPassword2=

gives most of the info you're likely to need.
If you need 'realm' for your config then the above username would suggest that its probably 'btsip.bt.com'

If you still can't get it to work then post back with the firmware version of the 2700HGV. Its possible to view the voip settings on most of the f/w versions but there are some 'hidden' pages which depend on the f/w version.

• gamaha
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Nov 2010 20:49 #3 by gamaha
Replied by gamaha on topic Some progress
Hi Candl,

Thanks for your help. I managed to get some of the information by begging BT....

I read a fair amount of forum stuff first before I got through to BT and noticed that there was one important difference between what is in the forum information and the URL I had to use to get the info. I'm still no expert but am posting the info I was given in the hope it will help someone else.....

To get the settings, it was necessary to visit www.bt.com/businessbbv (the difference between that and most of the forum posts is the 'business' part).
Once there I needed to provide the 'broadband talk number' and associated password. I didn't have these, but I provided BT with details relating to the account and they gave me the info required.
Once this has been entered, I clicked continue to configure the router (sorry, I didn't quite note the exact steps here). This returned a URL which is supposed to be sent to the BT Hub to configure it. The URL could be split up to provide the following data:-

SIPTransportProtocol=UDP
SIPTransportPort=5060
SIPRegistrarAddress=bmnhb-03.bt.com
SIPRegistrarPort=5060
SIPOutboundProxyAddress=www.bbvservice-560xxx.bt.com
SIPOutboundProxyPort=5060
SIPPhoneNumber1=0560xxxxxxx
SIPCallerName1=
SIPCallerName1=
SIPUsername1=0560xxxxxxx
SIPPassword1=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
SIPPhoneNumber2=0560xxxxxxxx
SIPCallerName2=
SIPUsername2=0560xxxxxxx
SIPPassword2=xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've replaced any data that I suspect is unique to the customer with x's.

I transferred this data into the settings on the vigor and all seems well. I guess my next concern is to see how the call quality is and whether BT have any optimisations hidden away in their hub.

Do you happen to know if the Vigor 2820Vn 'out of the box' automatically prioritises VOIP traffic to the connected handsets ? Or is this something I need to put in place manually ?
Thanks again for your help

More
30 Nov 2010 18:48 #4 by candl

Do you happen to know if the Vigor 2820Vn 'out of the box' automatically prioritises VOIP traffic to the connected handsets ? Or is this something I need to put in place manually ?

Sorry I can't help you there, I don't use voip on my 28220's.