DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2710VDn - Cannot receive calls from Sipgate account

More
04 May 2011 11:06 #1 by x0208
Hope someone can help woth this, but am having a nightmare trying to set up my Draytel account on a new 2710VDn router (after the trusty old VG2800 died a couple of weeks ago).

I have set up the account - as per Sipgate's instructions (they only refer to the old 2600, but have found a more uptodate suggestion via google [url](http://www.montel-css.co.uk/Supnetwork/draytekvigor2710.html)[/url] which seems to largely replicate their information.

Result: I can make calls from the Sipgate account no problem - but if you try and call in, you get a line unobtainable, or the BT lady telling you that this number is not accepting calls at the moment - please try again later.

It makes no difference which ring port I direct the calls to (Phone or DECT), although curiously, if I de-select both options - then calls coming in get diverted to voice mail.

The only other discovery is that with one of the ring ports connected, changing the preferrd codec from G729 A/B (8Kbps) to G7.11 A/B (64Kbps) also allows incoming calls to be diverted to voice mail instead of just getting the line unobtainable.

As an experiment, I have tried setting up an old Draytel account on this router, which has actually set up fine, can call in and out on this account no problems. Unfortunately, as everyone else in the company uses Sipgate and you cannot call betwen the networks over the net, this is not a viable solution.

Couple of thoughts - have e-mailed Sipgate who assure me that the account is working fine. They also enigmatically state:

We do believe that the issue has something to do with your hardware. We are however unable to pinpoint what the issue. We would recommend you to check the hardware settings.

Hmm....

So my current thoughts are:

1) Is there some special setting I need to adjust to work with Sipgate? There are the different Codec settings, but there is no guidance either in the Draytek manual or on the web site to really suggest which should be used.

2) Is it possible that this router is simply incompatible with Sipgate...? Have Draytek decided that these new routers will only work with Draytel...?

3) Might it be that the router is just faulty...? I have done a factory reset and re-set up everything from scratch with no effect. It is running the latest version of the firmware: (3.3.6_232201)

Any ideas would be much appreciated...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2011 11:19 #2 by admin
this is trange; it's very unlikely that the router doesn't work with Sipgate; it's certainly not tried to DrayTEL and DrayTEL and SIPgate probably uses exactly the same protocols. I think there are SIP debug commands (via telnet) so they might give some clues.

Does the SIPgate account work if you use other devices/software to access it (instead of the Vigor)

Forum Administrator

More
04 May 2011 12:24 #3 by x0208
Thanks for your response.

I have tried installing the Sipgate X-lite software phone on a computer - and from that I can both make and receive telephone calls.

This would appear to rule out the possibility that the there is anything wrong with the account - is there any easy way to test the router...?

More
04 May 2011 13:46 #4 by admin
As I said, I would have a look at the SIP traces and compare DrayTEL calls with Sipgate calls (or registrations...I can't remember which you said didn't work).

Possibly, you're just not entering the right things in the right boxes on the Vigor - the SIP/Voip stack is the same on all models so if Sipgate didn't work, we would have heard about it by now !

Forum Administrator

More
04 May 2011 16:57 #5 by x0208
Sorry if this sounds stupid - but how do I compare the SIP traces...?

Is there an option to access this in the router set up..? I cannot see anything obvious in the menus which would allow access to this...

I have checked the VOIP --> Status menu which lists all calls made and received. Well, at least it lists the calls out, because I cannot receive any calls there is nothing listed for that...

There is more peculiar behaviour to report as well:

1) I mentioned earleir that changing the codec on the sipgate account meant that incoming calls were redirected instead of being blocked altogether. that was technically true when I wrote it, but a couple of hours later, that seems to have stopped working - and all calls were being blocked again.

2) Whether it is related to all of this or not I don't know - but the Wi-fi on this router doesn't work properly either. In wireless mode (g or n) you can generally borwse the net okay, but you cannot download any files, nor can you watch any video. If you plug a cable in then immediately these files start to run and download. Seems very strange...

3) Finally, when looking to check the settings on the router for my Sip account, it has the habit of "forgetting" some of the settings - in particular the Expiry Time. You enter it, you click OK and it seems happy. You re-enter the Sip account screen and the Expiry Time has been cleared - indeed you get reminded you need to set one when you enter the screen.

Am starting to wonder if this router is just defective. I have certainly never had anything like this much trouble trying to get a piece of equipment to work before...