DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2800VG QoS/VOIP optimum setup

• scriptlite
  • Topic Author
More
14 Jun 2011 18:18 #1 by scriptlite
2800VG QoS/VOIP optimum setup was created by scriptlite
Hi all, I am a happy owner of a Vigor 2800VG (firmware 2.8.2).

I have just configured the integrated VOIP service with an analogue telephone connected in the FX1 port. This seems to work fine so far, although to be fair I haven't done much testing. My questions relate to ensuring I have the best setup:

1. Does the 2800 automatically prioritise SIP traffic when using the integrated VOIP feature (that is, not a dedicated VOIP phone) or does this need to be configured? If so I found the "Bandwidth Management >> Quality of Service" page but it's not so obvious how to give priority to the integrated VOIP.

2. Under "VoIP >> Phone Settings" there are settings for: Symmetric RTP (unticked), Dynamic RTP port start (10050), Dynamic RTP port end (15000), RTP TOS (IP Precedence 5). Are any of these things that could be "tuned", or should I leave at defaults (which seem to be working) ?

3. Under "VoIP >> Phone Settings" I have configured Prefer Codec: G711.A, Single Code: ticked, Packet Size: 10ms, Voice Active Detector: Off. Is this a fair choice?

If it matters, ISP is Eclipse ADSL, VOIP provider is Voipfone.co.uk, and Internet speed tested here at 1900Kbps down, 330kbps up.

If this is already discussed elsewhere please feel free to point me in the right direction. :) Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.