DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2820 IPPBX - Blocking SIP Register from the Internet

• mlcook
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2011 14:54 #1 by mlcook
I have a number of IP phones on the LAN side of my 2820 IPPBX. I need to continue using these to make and receive calls over SIP trunks to a range of ITSPs.

However, I want to block SIP clients out on the internet from registering, or trying to register, with the IPPBX via the public IP (WAN) interface.

Could someone please advise what setting I need to tweak to block external clients from registering, without compromising the ability of my LAN clients to make and receive calls?

Martin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2011 16:59 #2 by admin
Depending on the firmware you have, this should be set by default (either way, you should run the latest firmware). There is a setting for allowing remote registratio and then it's also per extension setting... sorry can't be more specific as I'm not with a PBX now. It's important you set this in order to stop people stealing calls from you if they find out your passwords etc.

Forum Administrator

• mlcook
  • Topic Author
More
25 Jul 2011 23:56 #3 by mlcook
Thanks for the response. I am running firmware 3.5.4_232201 and don't see the option to disable remote registrations.

Looking through the release notes it seems this was first added in 3.5.5 and refined further after that. I do usually run the latest firmware on my Draytek routers but with the IPPBX I have previously tried to upgrade only to find basic functions stopped working and I had to roll back. I might have to look into this further.

Martin

More
26 Jul 2011 07:14 #4 by admin
You should definitely upgrade.

Forum Administrator