DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Initial setup problems

More
25 Feb 2012 16:55 #1 by ukengb
Initial setup problems was created by ukengb
So, after thinking for some time about whether to move from a Snom IPPBX, I decided to take the plunge and purchased a Vigor IPPBX 2820. First impressions are NOT good.

Turned it on and connected to it on the default IP address, at which point it asked for username and password. Following the QuickStartGuide I left those fields blank and hit return. Which just re-presented the login auth dialogue box. Ah, maybe it's already been configured with a different username and password. So I pressed the factory reset button till the ACT light blinked rapidly and let it re-start etc and tried to connect again. But it will still NOT let me enter without a username and password. Brilliant. So much for the docs.

So I tried admin:admin, then admin:password and finally admin:blank which seemed to let me in. But every time I click on a menu link up pops the auth dialog again. I ran the Quick Setup wizard and provided a new username and password, but couldn't get to the end of the wizard for reasons which I now forget. Now it seems to accept the new username and password I entered, but still only for the same very limited scope.

I have now managed to turn the DHCP server OFF and disable the WAN interfaces (while I attempt to check out the IPPBX) and reset the LAN info to better match my LAN setup. In this respect it is now set the same as my Vigor 2820 router which will eventually be replaced by the IPPBX. At least that's the plan if I can coerce the IPPBX into not behaving like a complete POS. It has taken me over an hour just to configure it this far because:-

- It completely fails to match what the docs state

- It forces me to authenticate on almost EVERY menu link I click.

That last means this Vigor takes the record for the most times I've EVER had to enter login info, roughly every 5 seconds for the last hour. You try it.

So, before I try to move on with the config (or drive the car over it), could someone perhaps give me some idea of why it continues to demand login auth info every few seconds? The info must actually be correct or I wouldn't otherwise be able to access what I can. In which case, why keep asking for authentication over and OVER AGAIN.

Anyone able to help here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Feb 2012 09:40 #2 by g6ifs
Replied by g6ifs on topic Re: Initial setup problems
One very important thing missing, what software version are you using?
Draytek has changed the password system over the last few versions and some did have problems.

More
26 Feb 2012 10:16 #3 by ukengb
Replied by ukengb on topic Re: Initial setup problems

g6ifs wrote: One very important thing missing, what software version are you using?
Draytek has changed the password system over the last few versions and some did have problems.

It does sound very much like that is the problem. But it's currently running:-

3.5.6_232201

Is that not the latest UK version?

More
26 Feb 2012 18:27 #4 by roundst
Replied by roundst on topic Re: Initial setup problems
I had this problem when i first upgraded too..

I can't remember if it was when using FireFox that caused the prob, or IE. Try using the other one :D

HTH

More
26 Feb 2012 18:51 #5 by ukengb
Replied by ukengb on topic Re: Initial setup problems

roundst wrote: I can't remember if it was when using FireFox that caused the prob, or IE. Try using the other one :D

HTH

I'm using Safari as I use Macs. However, it all works 100% when configuring the 2820 router I am currently using - always has. So it's unlikely to be the browser.

I am currently totally unable to edit the SIP Trunk config. As soon as I click a trunk, I get the login dialog and when I enter the details (again) it just again displays the same page with the list of trunks. I again click on a trunk and get the login dialog again and so on. I get bored after half a dozen goes at this. It's a very boring game.

Is there perhaps some reason why it is doing this because there is no WAN interface enabled? Does it only look out the WAN port for SIP trunks and hence with both WANs disabled...?

It will add to the complexity of testing if it needs to be routing before being able to test the IPPBX, but not impossible, if that's what I have to do. Anyone know if this is relevant?

• doctord
  • User
  • User
More
28 Feb 2012 10:14 #6 by doctord
Replied by doctord on topic Re: Initial setup problems
I don't think it makes any difference.

Personally, I would try another browser. I use Opera on Windows with no problems at all. Also available for Mac's so worth a shot.