SIP Over TCP

• brainier
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
30 Apr 2012 12:42 #1 by brainier
SIP Over TCP was created by brainier
Does anyone know if it is possible to configure SIP on TCP ports rather than UDP ports. I want to configure Microsoft Lync Server and Exchange Server Unified Messaging against my IPPBX2820 (latest firmware as of writing). These software products will only communicate over SIP/TCP or SIP/TLS and not UDP.

Thanks

Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dudleyrees
  • User
  • User
More
04 May 2012 01:21 #2 by dudleyrees
Replied by dudleyrees on topic Re: SIP Over TCP
Hi Brian,
I've not deployed VoIP phones using Microsft Lync yet, but I know of phones that are Microsoft Lync certified. At this stage there is (again I may be slightly out of date) only one brand that have such certified phones, a few other manufacturers are launching later this year. However, I have not seen any announcements from Draytek about the 2820IPPBX undergoing certification.
My understanding is that, unless you buy phones that are certified and you have paid the relevant licence fee (about £10) then you won't get very far.
Regards,
Dudley

• brainier
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
04 May 2012 08:31 #3 by brainier
Replied by brainier on topic Re: SIP Over TCP
You can install Lync without phones. The software client acts as a phone. I'm more interested in installing the server side thought. Regardless of what I am using as a phone, the servers needs to talk to a SIP trunk provider or an IPPBX. That is done over TCP or TLS and never UDP. So the question remains how do I get the Draytek to do TCP if that is indeed possible.

The same is true for Exchange Server 2010 or 2007 Unified Messaging, that is TCP or TLS for SIP and so how do I configure a Draytk to do this, or am I going to need to install Asterix somewhere as I know that does it.

Brian

• asimm.it
  • User
  • User
More
09 Nov 2012 22:57 #4 by asimm.it
Replied by asimm.it on topic Re: SIP Over TCP
Would the IPPBX and Lync server on the same LAN?

I Would need to know a little more about the proposed set-up but I believe you could get around this with a 2nd router and some port triggering & or redirection trickery through the 2 routers using NAT..

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea seperating the 2 networks anyway if they were on the same local network.