DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Firmware upgrade

More
12 Jul 2012 19:22 #1 by ukengb
Firmware upgrade was created by ukengb
Good to know that Draytek are updating the firmware to improve the device. It's also good to see that they've implemented a firmware upgrade function in the web configurator. What's not so good is finding that it all falls apart at the first hurdle as we are instructed that when upgrading from 3.5.6 (my current version) to 3.5.7 (latest), we cannot use this method and must resort to the old special firmware upgrade utility.

Disappointing though this is, especially when discovering that the upgrade utility is not listed for Mac, only Windows, I am heartened to read that the utility is contained within the Router Tools package that is indeed available for MacOSX. My euphoria was of course entirely misplaced because this is in fact all coded for PowerPC and will therefore NOT run on the current version of OSX. Since this has already been out for a year, I have to wonder quite what they've been doing. Including a version for plain old MacOS, which is now almost 10 years obsolete, is somewhat misguided when they cannot provide something for the LATEST VERSION.

I run only Macs and currently have no access to a Windows machine. I despair at the crass stupidity of all this sort of carry on. How do Draytek suggest we Mac users, with the latest and up to date hard and software, can possibly upgrade the firmware on a Vigor IPPBX?

Since I suspect that Draytek don't bother following this forum, can anyone else suggest how to get over this particular hurdle?

Can we assume that once 3.5.7 is installed, in future we will be able to upgrade through the web configurator?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2012 20:17 #2 by ukengb
Replied by ukengb on topic Re: Firmware upgrade
In the end I performed a 'remote upgrade' via FTP, albeit from within the local LAN to the WAN port. But it seems to have worked.

However, it shouldn't be necessary to jump through such hoops for something as basic as a firmware upgrade. Why implement an upgrade function in the web interface and then say it cannot be used. Hopefully this will be possible for the next upgrade?

Now I need to find out if the upgrade will enable hunt groups to actually work as they should...

More
13 Jul 2012 20:42 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Firmware upgrade
This is unusual and only for this f/w version; it wasn't necessary previously and shouldn't be in future.

Forum Administrator

More
14 Jul 2012 08:22 #4 by ukengb
Replied by ukengb on topic Re: Firmware upgrade

admin wrote: This is unusual and only for this f/w version; it wasn't necessary previously and shouldn't be in future.

Ok, I realised this might be the case. I look forward to the next upgrade. :)