DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

IPPBX 2820 & WAN2 Speed on VirginMedia Super Hub (100mbps)

• asimm.it
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Nov 2012 21:32 #1 by asimm.it
Hi,

Has anyone managed to get the 100mbps virgin media broadband service working at anything over 60Mbps when using the WAN2 port of the IPPBX 2820?

Currently have the super hub set up in modem mode and connected to WAN2 but can only get download speed around 60Mbps or between 40-50Mbps when QOS is enabled on WAN2. Upload speeds do not appear to be affected too much.

From what I see there is either a major compatibility issue with the super hub and the IPPBX2820 or the throughput on the WAN2 port is seriously under utilised as I would expect it to atleast acheive somewhere near the wirespeed of the WAN2 port (100Mbps) but at 40-60% usage it is way out.

Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• asimm.it
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
24 Nov 2012 19:25 #2 by asimm.it
For those that want to know the reason why the IPPBX2820 has issues with 100mbps broadband. Be advised that the firewall on the device only has a 50mbps throughput, crippling the 100mbps WAN2 port.

It's a real shame that the product development teams do not sit down and look over the specifications of the devices features to make sure all elements are compatible with each other. It's pretty useless having a 100mbps full and half duplex negotiation option on the WAN2 port Internet settings of the device if you know that the firewall is only capable of a 50mbps throughput.

Cheers DrayTek

• jason@espprojects.co.uk
More
29 Nov 2012 13:10 #3 by jason@espprojects.co.uk
Replied by jason@espprojects.co.uk on topic Re: IPPBX 2820 & WAN2 Speed on VirginMedia Super Hub (100mbp
Does anyone know if the same applies to the 2830 or standard 2820 routers (ie no IPPBX)?

• asimm.it
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
29 Nov 2012 13:19 #4 by asimm.it
Hi Jason,

I'm not sure about the 2830 although there has been a thread about the 2850 and the up to 160mbps BT infinity service, where another user claims that the throughput on that device might be between 90/100mbps.

I can therefore only assume that the 2820 is the same as the ippbx and the 2830 may be somewhere between 50-90mbps, I.e between the 2820 and 2850.

I think it should be confirmed with techsales@seg.co.uk though.

It would be helpful if these important specs were actually included on the tech specs of the products themselves but I've never seen any.