DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820Vn as only VoiP router and wifi relay?

• rp8049
  • Topic Author
More
26 Sep 2014 13:54 #1 by rp8049
I'm hoping someone may be able to answer this: I've got a 2820Vn that I've been using for several years now and love all the features but I'm about to move to fibre broadband with sky and would also like to have wireless AC if possible but I use the VoiP functionality on the 2820 and don't want to lose that.

Would it be possible to get a new AC wireless router with VDSL modem, have that as my main modem router and connect the 2820 via LAN port but still have the VoiP functionality work or does the VoiP need a connection either on the ADSL modem or the WAN port?

I would go for the 2860Vn+ but I'm loathe to spend £260 on a router that doesn't have AC wifi when I'm guessing that at some point in the next 6 months or so Draytek will bring out an AC version!

My other option could be to get an open reach VDSL modem and hook that into the WAN port and stick with the 2820n for now but I'm not sure if firmware has been released for the 2820 to make it compatible with Sky Fibre (something to do with their MER authentication and DHCP option 61 I believe?).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami