2860vn cannot make VOIP work!

• nieldm
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
28 Apr 2015 09:16 #1 by nieldm
2860vn cannot make VOIP work! was created by nieldm
Most frustrating. To simplify my cabinet, I am trying to migrate to a 2860vn from a working Fritxbox environment using a Sipgate account.

I can register the Sipgate account on the 2860 and when I make a call it shows on the device and on the Sipgate account (receive only shows on Sipgate log) but the call never completes, the phone on the other end never rings. Trying to call in from my mobile just results in a 'not available' message.

There are no ports forwarded to the Fritzbox and to help the test I have turned the FB off completely to ensure no conflicts, but it doesn't help. I have been configuring and using VoIP for years and whilst no expert, I have always managed to diagnose my problems up to now. I don't think this one sits with Sipgate so it must be something on the 2860vn.

I have tried with and without STUN setup, I have configured the account manually (using the Sipgate setup help) and using the Wizard on the router. I don't have a landline connected, am using Virgin Broadband, 120mb.

I am out of ideas....can anyone suggest what i might be doing wrong? It will be something dumb....

Thanks!
Marc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• octoinkjet
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jun 2015 16:15 #2 by octoinkjet
Replied by octoinkjet on topic Re: 2860vn cannot make VOIP work!
If it helps we're in the same boat... The 2860 firmware has been a pain in the backside since we started with the default which killed our 2.4Ghz WAN and now we find this issue with VOIP.

Frustrating to say the least!

• octoinkjet
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jun 2015 16:39 #3 by octoinkjet
UPDATE:...

I think I've found the problem... Various discussions about NAT and issues that causes with VOIP pinged a lightbulb when I realised that the L800 Alcatel 4G dongle/modem I'm using uses DHCP and some measure of NAT to get a connection up.

Confirmed this by switching my 3G dongle and lo' everything rings again...

So, now I have to figure out how to get this sorted...

• octoinkjet
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jun 2015 19:20 #4 by octoinkjet
Well, just to provide one last update before I give up in disgust...

It seems from all the information I can glean that the issue of using VOIP over a 4G dongle, that uses DHCP to connect, is one that hasn't really been explored properly so basically it doesn't work.

I have a support ticket in on the issue but the last 3 hours have proven fruitless so I'm quietly resigned for now to it being outside the potential functionality for some time to come...

• octoinkjet
  • User
  • User
More
16 Jun 2015 20:50 #5 by octoinkjet
Apologies due as I realise now that the issue I'm experiencing is absolutely no help with regard to the OP's, so in respect of that, one thing I'd definitely try is to update your firmware as there were numerous problems with the original 2860vn+ FW as shipped with the original unit and this may be related.

As noted below, there are still issues with the firmware on the 2860vn+ but if I was taking a wild swing at things I'd question whether your setup is using a Virgin modem for the fibre and it's this that is doing something similar to the 4G dongle in my own situation. If so, the most likely scenario is to locate information on your modem and turn it into a modem rather than a second router. May be wrong but

Coming back to the issues with VOIP and 4G I did eventually hit a brainwave and now have what appears to be a working compromise:

• Set both the 3G dongle and 4G L800 dongles to "Always on"

• Made sure the 3G dongle was using ARP detect for "WAN connection detection" (otherwise it keeps rebooting the router - a bug I also found in the 2830n+ model).

• Go to VOIP > SIP Accounts > [account] and set "Register via" to the 3G dongle WAN port

• No other Load Balance settings applied at all

For whatever reason this seems to be achieving the same thing as telling the router to always use the 3G dongle for VOIP and because that's not suffering the NAT issue (unlike the 4G unit) it all connects properly on both the incoming (it rings!) and the outgoing.

I wonder where my son gets his stubborn streak from? :oops:

More
19 Apr 2016 22:03 #6 by worcs
Replied by worcs on topic Re: 2860vn cannot make VOIP work!
BX2000 has this same issue with the Alcatel L800 dongle. Although I have tried a 3G dongle in PPP mode and still no audio.
Phones work fine registering direct to VOIP trunk provider though the same router and 3G dongle. So it must be PBX related. It won't let me force the setting on the SIP trunk to register though the USB WAN3 or WAN 4 port. Setting it to AUTO it occasionaly registers and rings, but no audio. I cant see why there should be a difference between the WAN ports.
How is 3G/4G supposed to be a fail over if it doesnt .. well ... failover correctly. :o