Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Draytek 2830 VOIP Issues

• wilkie1984
  • Topic Author
More
13 May 2015 11:10 #1 by wilkie1984
Draytek 2830 VOIP Issues was created by wilkie1984
Hi there,

We have a problem with one of our homeworkers where they have issues when using the VOIP telephone that we configured and sent to them. The phone works most of the time but as soon as the agent logs into any call groups the phone cuts out or when the agent tries to make any calls it will drop out and loose its connection to the server.

We have a VPN tunnel configured on the Draytek 2830 and it connects fine to the network and looking at the logs the VPN connection never drops out but the telephone will drop out 5+ times per day.

Is there any thing I can change in the configuration that would stop this. I have had a second line installed so it is only the telephone that is connected to the Draytek now and there is no other internet traffic going through this but the phone still drops out.

Any help then please let me know what I can change or re-configure on the Draytek.

Thanks,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Mar 2016 10:36 #2 by roger@iapbb.net
Replied by roger@iapbb.net on topic Re: Draytek 2830 VOIP Issues
I have recently purchased a Vigor2830n V2 for a remote office. The VPN connection is rock solid and in normal use everything works fine but as soon as the remote office uses the SIP phone everything goes wrong.

Within 2 seconds of initiating or receiving a call the entire remote office loses both internet connectivity and VPN connectivity, leaving the remote office unable to access the customer records that the customer is calling about. Within 2 seconds of the call being terminated all internet and VPN connectivity is re-instated. As the SIP call is routing through the VPN which is routing through the internet and the SIP call is completing correctly it is not really losing connectivity, instead it seems to be blocking all other traffic while a call takes place, this happens regardless of whether QoS is turned on or off.

I am not new to networking, although it is quite rare for me to setup LAN to LAN VPN's I have done this before without any problem. I read the Draytek VPN setup guide, the QoS setup guide and the VoIP setup guide and followed all the instructions before testing the remote office link, so I am sure that I have not misconfigured either end of the link.

The remote office was set-up over 6 weeks ago and I instantly contacted Draytek support, after weeks of messing about with settings and sending in network packet captures they finally suggested an upgrade to a Beta firmware which has done nothing to resolve this situation.

The problem is that Draytek are refusing to say that the router is faulty, in their words "We characterize a router as faulty only when it develops a hardware fault (ie a LAN port stops working)", so it seems that although this router is advertised as being capable of VPN, QoS and ADSL when it fails to do these things simultaneously it is not faulty and using Draytek's own reasoning it must be an configuration issue, however after 6 weeks of trying they cannot seem to find any reason for this problem. As they will not declare the unit as being faulty they will not accept it as a return, although it clearly does not seem to be fit for purpose.

Draytek seem to be treating me like a mushroom and I am getting nowhere with their technical support so I have been left with no alternative but to post here in the hope that some sort of public shaming may spur them into action. So I think the moral of this story is don't purchase the 2830 if you want to run SIP over VPN, and possibly don't purchase Draytek products unless you are 100% certain they will work in the way you want as it seems reading the specifications is not good enough! :x

More
06 Apr 2016 08:09 #3 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Re: Draytek 2830 VOIP Issues

post here in the hope that some sort of public shaming may spur them into action.

Very mature :-) I would be disappointed if they gave improved service to customers who throw tantrums... I ask for help without tantrums/blackmailing them so I hope I don't get lower priority than you... It's clearly NOT faulty so if they don't want to replace it, it's because they don't want to waste their time and yours. Why be without your router for a few days just to get it/another back and find you're in exactly the same situation - they have nothing to be 'ashamed' of - they're saving you from a wasted of time.

Email them and explain that the solution isn't working and that you need the issue escalated.

1. Is the SIP phone using a service at the other office (through the VPN) or a completely separate server/PBX elsewhere on the Internet?
2. What model of phone is it?

Forum Administrator