• screamingpict
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
19 Mar 2018 21:25 #1 by screamingpict
External (mobile) SIP clients and NAT? was created by screamingpict
Hi,
Quick question- is it possible to have the SIP server not sit behind NAT?

I'm trying to use an external SIP client on a mobile phone. UK networks typically have you behind NAT and the IPPBX is behind NAT, which means that the client won't work without a TURN server relaying all the SIP traffic.

Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ghostworks
  • User
  • User
More
20 Mar 2018 06:52 #2 by ghostworks
Replied by ghostworks on topic Re: External (mobile) SIP clients and NAT?
My mobile Clients are fine ( iphones with Zoiper Sip ) , which router IPPBX are you using ?

• screamingpict
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
20 Mar 2018 17:50 #3 by screamingpict
Replied by screamingpict on topic Re: External (mobile) SIP clients and NAT?
I'm using a 2820 IPPBX with the newest available firmware.

For the SIP client I'm using Acrobits Softphone on phones on 'Three'.

I've all but given up ever getting this work. Have tried using TURN servers and outgoing proxies but nothing seems to allow the extensions to stay registered and function when the app isn't running in the foreground.

• press2talk
  • User
  • User
More
21 Mar 2018 10:58 #4 by press2talk
Replied by press2talk on topic Re: External (mobile) SIP clients and NAT?
Likewise we run a 2820IPPBX (have done since the product had been released), been through the pain of the product evolving, always have struggled trying to get remote extensions registered (audio issues, extensions intermittently ringing, & STUN servers). Have used many sip clients on both iOS (EE) and Android (Three), some hit and miss. Acrobits and Media5 on iOS, CSipsimple and Zoiper on Android. Zoiper would randomly crash. So now we simply register the mobile clients with our SIP trunk provider. I do wonder if the BX2000 Ipbx is any different?

• screamingpict
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • User
More
21 Mar 2018 14:37 #5 by screamingpict
Replied by screamingpict on topic Re: External (mobile) SIP clients and NAT?

press2talk wrote: ...So now we simply register the mobile clients with our SIP trunk provider.

Ah- now that's interesting, but how do you hook that into the PBX? Do you just redirect all calls for that extension onto the number your SIP trunk provider gives you?
It appears you cannot just use a SIP URI to redirect a call down a trunk, you have to use an actual phone number. :(

press2talk wrote: I do wonder if the BX2000 Ipbx is any different?

...it's like you read my mind- have been eyeing up the BX2000 and asking the same question.

• press2talk
  • User
  • User
More
21 Mar 2018 14:54 #6 by press2talk
Replied by press2talk on topic Re: External (mobile) SIP clients and NAT?

ScreamingPict wrote:

press2talk wrote: ...So now we simply register the mobile clients with our SIP trunk provider.

Ah- now that's interesting, but how do you hook that into the PBX? Do you just redirect all calls for that extension onto the number your SIP trunk provider gives you?
It appears you cannot just use a SIP URI to redirect a call down a trunk, you have to use an actual phone number. :(

press2talk wrote: I do wonder if the BX2000 Ipbx is any different?

...it's like you read my mind- have been eyeing up the BX2000 and asking the same question.

Be through the pain of SIP and prior H323.... We specify Draytek modems to our clients, however, with the previous experiences with the 2820ippbx we are apprehensive on recommending the BX2000. From what I read on the web the BX2000 voip element is based on the 2820ippbx, I would have thought Draytek have taken all the good points of the 2820ippbx and build upon that with the new platform. I would like to see call recording, better remote client registrations, and support for TCP for voip.

Re SIP Trunks, ours permit multiple registrations so all mobile clients act as a shared extension to the trunk. Sadly no call transfers but at least calls can be answered out of office. Prior to the Draytek we were involved with a Far East manufacturer that built an asterisk embedded product. That worked really well with remote desk phones and mobile clients (back then Nokia E61i & E71i with caked in SIP client). The only downside the box got hacked. Can say we have never had an issue with our Draytek IPBX being voip hacked!