DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2860Vn VoIP without registration - new problem

• pol098
  • Topic Author
More
05 Aug 2019 15:09 #1 by pol098
I have been using a 2860Vn+ (replacing a 2820Vn) occasionally for VoIP which has always worked without incident, with a PSTN phone plugged in for VoIP. I have it set up to "call without registration" so that I can also use the VoIP service from a mobile phone anywhere. When I tried to make calls today via the 2860, after months without, I got the dialling tone I have set up and the phone made dialling noises, but then stayed dead. I went into VoIP configuration and found that if I don't tick Call without registration (CWR) it seems to work OK, and show up in the SIP Accounts list as "R" (registered); but it won't work with CWR. I rebooted the router, to no effect.

I would guess this is due to a router firmware upgrade in the last few months (I apply them all). Does anybody have any comments (and is this the best forum, rather than a 2860-related one?), or should I report this as a possible bug?

- The phone isn't unplugged or similar as VoIP works with it if I register.
- Not a temporary router issue as a reboot doesn't clear.
- Not a configuration which has got changed or corrupted as VoIP works if I register.

Best wishes, pol098

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pol098
  • Topic Author
More
18 Jul 2020 17:44 #2 by pol098
This is still happening with firmware 3.8.9.8_BT (current July 2020), the third firmware version that has had this problem.

I'm not sure if my original post (still valid; the details are given there) was clear; the reason to use this is that I can use the same VoIP service from, for example, a mobile phone while out. If the Draytek keeps a VoIP account registered, no other device can use the account - I can't use it from a mobile phone. If the VoIP account on the Draytek is set to Register via: None and Call without registration is ticked, the router only monopolises the VoIP account when actually making a call. (I don't receive calls on this VoIP account; it wouldn't expect it to be able to receive calls if not registered).

I had hoped that this would get fixed in a later firmware version, but it hasn't (yet) been resolved.

Does anybody have any ideas, or at least can confirm (or refute!) that this happens?

Thanks

More
27 Nov 2020 11:20 #3 by ncollingridge
Replied by ncollingridge on topic Re: 2860Vn VoIP without registration - new problem
Not sure of this, but does my post "3.8.1.9 for BX2000 does not work for VOIP " relate to your issue? if so, you might find there is a beta available with a fix if you contact support.

• pol098
  • Topic Author
More
28 Nov 2020 14:02 #4 by pol098
"Not sure of this, but does my post "3.8.1.9 for BX2000 does not work for VOIP " relate to your issue? if so, you might find there is a beta available with a fix if you contact support."

Thanks for that. I don't think there's likely to be a beta with this fixed; the problem persisted through several firmware updates, and I think the 2860x series is EOL in favour of the 2862x. I did contact Draytek support at the time and they responded essentially "are you sure? Check whether it works OK with older firmware and get back to us if it does" (it did work fine with earlier firmware before upgrades). I didn't want to get into serious debugging, and dusted off an old Grandstream HT502 VoIP ATA about 13 years old, but with firmware updates to 2018; it works fine even if not registered. I've only tested this with outgoing calls, I don't have an incoming VoIP number.

So I'm not using the VoIP support of my router (nor the WiFi), with separate ATA and AP. This has the advantage that when I replace the router I don't have to get one with VoIP and WiFi support.

I note that the first report on the BX2000 VoIP problem was in August 2018; it probably appeared for me at about the same time (I worked around it for months by temporarily registering the SIP when I needed to make a call before reporting it), so it is possible that updates to various Draytek products at about the same time caused this issue.