DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Wireless hotspot functionality

• mathubbard75
  • Topic Author
More
24 Oct 2007 14:29 #1 by mathubbard75
Wireless hotspot functionality was created by mathubbard75
Some basic wireless hotspot functionality would be very useful.

We are a small company with a couple of ADSL connections, both fitted with 2900G routers.

One of the routers is for general use, and the other is located in one of our meeting rooms and is primarily intended for customer use. It's currently not got any wireless security on it, as I'd like it to be easy to access.

It would be nice, if our customers could open up a web connection wirelessly, and be prompted to enter a password in a similar way to the system used by most hotels. The ability to change the password, and display a custom message would be useful too.

Password security is not too important. We just want to deter casual unauthorised access.

Regards,

Mat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2007 09:10 #2 by peterdd
Replied by peterdd on topic Hotspot access
I agree. The 2800G already redirects users to a login page - but it would be MUCH better to change 'You have been redirected by Draytek router' to 'Welcome to (your business name) internet access. Please enter user name and password for internet access'

Even better if the login address could also be customised from www.draytek.wlan to www.yourbusinessname.internet etc

Even better still if after login a further redirect to another URL was possible as currently after 'login succeeds' the user needs to realise they can now use the internet (some aren't that comfortable with this). Perhaps to the hosts web site.

This is very basic hotspot support but enough for free access at small hotels, cafes etc.

More
29 Dec 2007 11:19 #3 by plandregan
Replied by plandregan on topic Wireless hotspot functionality
Excellent idea. I am setting up a free WiFi cafe. This functionality would swing my choice of router from a LinkSys + PublicIP software to a Draytek with content filtering enabled.

More
24 Feb 2009 15:13 #4 by alumet
Replied by alumet on topic hotspots
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but it seems to be the only one on here about hotspots.

Has anyone set up a wifi hotspot before? did you end up going the draytek route, or using something like PublicIP.

plandregan how did you get on?

I've given PublicIP a try but it seems to time-out connections all the time. I might just use a spare draytek 2800G and isolate the WLAN from the LAN.

Would welcome any advice.

Cheers

More
20 Mar 2009 12:31 #5 by gtpc_ltd
Replied by gtpc_ltd on topic hotspots
Just to add to the request, this would be a great feature, if it could be added to existing units. Will try PublicIP, but a Draytek router solution would be the best :-)

Simon Ward
GTPC Ltd.

More
30 Nov 2009 15:22 #6 by coderus
Replied by coderus on topic Wireless hotspot functionality
You can do via FON box, or other solutions like this - I think

Moderators: Sami