DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820N second SSID problem

• smellycatuk
  • Topic Author
More
13 Feb 2008 00:45 #1 by smellycatuk
2820N second SSID problem was created by smellycatuk
I have been playing around with some of the features of this router and had a problem with configuring a second SSID.

The idea with this being that I could configure a second "network/SSID" for guests to access the internet without having access to any other machine on the network.

Configuration worked fine, but when connecting back to my main network SSID I was unable to connect at all. Disabling the second SSID brought everything back to life again.

Any ideas ?

2820N Firmware 3.1.2 Annex A
ADSL Zen Internet

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2008 08:21 #2 by habile
Replied by habile on topic Re: 2820N second SSID problem

SmellyCatUK wrote: I have been playing around with some of the features of this router and had a problem with configuring a second SSID.

The idea with this being that I could configure a second "network/SSID" for guests to access the internet without having access to any other machine on the network.

Configuration worked fine, but when connecting back to my main network SSID I was unable to connect at all. Disabling the second SSID brought everything back to life again.

Any ideas ?

This often works OK, often it doesn't, especially when the second SSID uses different standards, like SSID1=g+n and SSID2=b+g. Right now it is working for me with one using WPA2 the other WPA and the same standards (I didn't want to mix WPA and WPA2 on the same SSID - but I don't know if joining this way makes any difference to having split SSIDs).

The issue for me is not having a separate DHCP server for the other SSID. I have a DHCP server on the LAN and would like to serve clients using SSID1 - I wan't to isolate clients on SSID2 but need access to a DHCP server - I can't enable the DHCP server in the router because it will start serving my other LAN clients :/

C,

More
02 Dec 2008 11:33 #3 by brokitt
Replied by brokitt on topic DHCP
i am having the same issue on a Draytek 2310 router.
I have a LAN with a sbs2003 DHCP server and a SSID that allows my internal uses to connect to the private LAN.

I want to create a second SSID and isolate from the Private LAN. But how do you give out DHCP if you have isolated this SSID. On the 2310 you can set up a 2nd subnet i am guessing that maybe a static route needs to be set up from one subnet to the other.

would apprecaite any help.

More
30 Aug 2009 21:34 #4 by benih
Replied by benih on topic Re: DHCP
I have exactly the same issue with a 2820n i've just brought, how do you serve the DHCP requirements for clients on two seperate SSIDs?

Did anyone find and answer?

Moderators: Sami