DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

firmware update - invalid filename (2930)

• ben189123
  • Topic Author
More
21 Jul 2008 17:21 #1 by ben189123
Hi Draytek and everyone,

I was trying to upgrade to firmware 3.2 on a 2930VN. However, whenever I clicked "upgrade" after selecting the "v2930_0320.all" file, it reported:

Firmware file name is invalid, please check!

This happened regardless of whether I used Safari 3 on Mac, Firefox 3 on Mac, Firefox 2 on Linux, or IE7 on windows. I tried each in turn.

I eventually tried IE6 on windows, and this finally worked.

It would appear that the javascript that the router is using in version 3.0.3 of the 2930 firmware does not work in anything other than IE6.
That is to say, it's using completely broken javascript.
I had a look at the javascript where it does the filename checks and could see what it was doing, but I don't know enough JS to decipher what part it is that doesn't work in a modern browser.

After upgrading to 3.2, the javascript now appears to work in any browser, so Draytek have apparently fixed this in 3.1 or 3.2.

I am just posting this note here to help anyone else who hits the same issue as I did. Basically - the (painful) solution is, use IE6 for the first firmware upgrade post 3.0.3.

A personal note to Draytek; this problem, in firmware version 3.0.3, is absolutely shockingly poor form. Version 3.0.3 only dates from late 2007, and the world had already by then moved far past the (intentionally) broken IE6 browser.
Draytek should take effort to avoid this type of silliness in future.

If the 3.2 upgrade had not fixed this issue, I would now be returning this router, and this kind of thing is completely unacceptable. Requiring IE is bad enough - it is best to try to avoid microsoft products completely, and personally I don't use windows or IE at all. To require IE 6 is absolutely shockingly bad.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2008 10:28 #2 by cbeckstein
Replied by cbeckstein on topic firmware update - invalid filename (2930)
When upgrading from 3.03 I simpley shortened the filename of the FW to V2930.all and this worked in IE7 and FF 3...

I assume the problem is the filename being longer than 8+3 chars...

- Clemens

• ben189123
  • Topic Author
More
22 Jul 2008 11:35 #3 by ben189123
Replied by ben189123 on topic firmware update - invalid filename (2930)
Sorry, I forgot to add: I tried renaming the firmware file to all manner of things; V2930.all was the first thing I tried. It didn't work.

Nor did any other combination of V2930<anything>.all. Lower case, upper case, no punctuation, extra letters, less, numbers, etc. Tried many combinations. None worked.
The only thing that worked was using IE 6. That was my absolute last resort, as I only ever resort to using any version of IE in dire circumstances - so I certainly had tried everything else first.

More
08 Aug 2008 10:32 #4 by willow
Replied by willow on topic firmware update - invalid filename (2930)
We had this problem with two 2820s.

I had a fun time trying to get them to upgrade :(

More
08 Aug 2008 10:46 #5 by daneel3001
Replied by daneel3001 on topic firmware update - invalid filename (2930)
I too tried to update my 2820n with the latest firmware I am getting the same error.
Using either the firmware upgrade utility or a browser doesn't seem to work so I might have the other solution.

More
19 Feb 2010 16:15 #6 by argy
1. Using logmein I connected to a PC on the network of the target router

2. I downloaded the firmware file and the firmware utility

3. I installed the firmware utility and configured it with the relevant details

4. I logged on to the router and navigated to the firmware upgrade page and made sure that both this page and the firmware upgrade tool were visible at the same time.

5. Back at the firmware upgrade tool I clicked on OK

6. Immediately I went to the router page and clicked OK in the lower box (TFTP firmware upgrade)

It was my reasoning that, as the firmware upgrade tool had a 5 second (adjustable) timeout, I had enough time to initiate the router end of the link before the utility gave up. Thankfully I was right and, after a few minutes the router rebooted with the new firmware.

It worked for me and may work for you if there's still anyone struggling.

Good luck

Moderators: Sami