DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

WDS WAP compatible with 2820Vn

• catzi
  • Topic Author
More
26 Nov 2008 09:45 #1 by catzi
WDS WAP compatible with 2820Vn was created by catzi
Hello, I have a customer who would like to extend wireless coverage to a non-cabled area. The wireless from the 2820 will not reach (and the router can't be moved) so I plan to install a WAP that supports WDS to extend the coverage.

I have read that WDS can be tricky with different chipsets etc. Can anyone recommend a WAP that supports WDS and is definitely compatible with the 2820Vn?

The Wireless security is currently WPA but if I had to downgrade to WEP, that wouldn't be the end of the world.

Thanks,

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2008 13:58 #2 by howard simpson
Replied by howard simpson on topic WDS WAP compatible with 2820Vn
I am succesfully using my old 2600G so that eliminates compatability problems. I would think you could get one cheaply off Ebay. the only snag is that it does not support wireless N mode.

Howard

• catzi
  • Topic Author
More
27 Nov 2008 14:53 #3 by catzi
Replied by catzi on topic WDS WAP compatible with 2820Vn
Thanks - would rather have a straight WAP if possible. Needs to be new as I'm supplying to a customer so it needs full warranty/support etc.

Anyone any thoughts?

More
17 Feb 2009 23:56 #4 by gstockinger
Replied by gstockinger on topic Similar Situation
Our company is looking to supply a 2820n to a customer who needs 2 access points to obtain full coverage at their premesis. As far as I can tell, and have experienced, Netgear mixing with other brands is a no go.

• catzi
  • Topic Author
More
18 Feb 2009 11:07 #5 by catzi
Replied by catzi on topic WDS WAP compatible with 2820Vn
FYI - I ended up sticking in another 2820 in WDS mode which worked perfectly. Response from Draytek UK was that any bran of WAP that supports WDS should do. We tried a Zyxel WAP which had quite good reviews but turned out to be hideously unreliable in conjunction with the Draytek device.

I suppose one good thing about using another router is it can be a useful backup to the main router.

More
03 Nov 2009 15:32 #6 by mike4ql
Replied by mike4ql on topic 2820n <WDS> 2600G
I have been trying to set up a 2820n to 2600Gi WDS connection without any success. I have followed all the instructions I can find and it seems to be set up OK.

The Link Status shows the MAC addresses correctly on both routers but the status remains firmly at 'D' and I cannot ping across the link.

Can anybody suggest what I might have done wrong?

Mike

Mike Robertson, 4QL Ltd.

Moderators: Sami