DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Vigor 110 - Poor performance with BT 21CN

• dubpixel
  • Topic Author
More
02 Feb 2009 01:03 #1 by dubpixel
Hi,

I just thought I'd let you know that my Vigor 110 has been extremely unstable with BT's ADSL2+ 21CN (Andrews & Arnold)

I have a good 2000m line - looploss = 29db usually syncing around 17000000 down and 1100 up at 6dB SN.

Usually under heavy load, but sometimes when idle, the whole connection will drop and re-sync perhaps 4 or 5 times a day at its worst. With Be* the 110 was solid. The performance is very poor in comparison with a Netgear DM111-P on the same line which didn't lose sync in over 8 days when tested consecutively.

Perhaps an upgrade to the 110 firmware with this problem under consideration is in order.

Regards

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2009 20:06 #2 by 3xh

dubpixel wrote: Hi,

I just thought I'd let you know that my Vigor 110 has been extremely unstable with BT's ADSL2+ 21CN (Andrews & Arnold)

I have a good 2000m line - looploss = 29db usually syncing around 17000000 down and 1100 up at 6dB SN.

Usually under heavy load, but sometimes when idle, the whole connection will drop and re-sync perhaps 4 or 5 times a day at its worst. With Be* the 110 was solid. The performance is very poor in comparison with a Netgear DM111-P on the same line which didn't lose sync in over 8 days when tested consecutively.

Perhaps an upgrade to the 110 firmware with this problem under consideration is in order.

Regards

Mark

Differing ADSL chipsets has a HUGE impact on BT's ADSL2+ performance (Can as much as 5meg difference in sync speed on the same line)

If you want best performance and stability a device with a broadcom chipset will be required.

I have to admit however I have no idea what chipsets Draytek routers use.

More
17 May 2009 20:59 #3 by ansellp
Replied by ansellp on topic Vigor 110 - Poor performance with BT 21CN
Hi Mark,

Interesting i have a new Vigor 120 (on LLU Talktalk) and get exactly the same symptoms. Tried a couple of Different Routers (Linksys RV042 and WRT54GL with tomato firmware) just to prove its not my router causing issues with the vigor 120.

Had to put my dlink 2640b back on the line which syncs to the highest speed i pay for and i can't even remember having a sync loss with this in 20 months.

I'm guessing the vigor 110 and 120 are pretty much the same unit under the hood.

Regards
Paul

More
28 May 2009 02:05 #4 by papfox
Replied by papfox on topic Vigor 110 - Poor performance with BT 21CN
Hi,

I too have a Vigor 110 and BT have just upgraded my exchange to 21CN. I called my ISP (IDNet - wonderful people) who said they can have me switched to ADSL 2+ on 21CN in about a week.

They asked me which modem I had and when I said a Vigor 110 they said they'd had a number of problems with DrayTek (and Linksys) routers, particularly the 2820 not working on 21CN ADSL 2+. They advised me to seek the latest 110 firmware before contemplating an upgrade to 2+. I can't find a firmware update for the 110 on the download section (only for the 100 and 120)

I use my Vigor 110 with a dedicated firewall which shouldn't be behind NAT so changing to a modem-router isn't an option if this goes badly. Is there a beta firmware version available for the 110 hidden somewhere? Does anyone have a 110 that works well on 2+? I'm particularly interested in the experiences of anyone in Farnborough 01252. Should I buy a new 120 or an used 100 and upgrade it?

I understand that not all 21CN exchanges are created equal (I believe the ADSL equipment comes from different manufacturers at different ones) and that DrayTek users on some exchanges have problems and others don't. I live near a major street cabinet and I'm always seeing Openreach engineers there I can ask about what is at the exchange. Does anyone know which exchange equipment works well and which which maker's gear is likely to cause me a problem?

Thanks,
Pap.

More
28 May 2009 08:44 #5 by admin
Replied by admin on topic Vigor 110 - Poor performance with BT 21CN
Ask support which firmware (modem code) they recommend and do some comparisons at your end on the Vigor2820.

Forum Administrator

More
31 May 2009 10:46 #6 by lorian
Replied by lorian on topic Vigor 110 - Poor performance with BT 21CN
The new BT 21CN MSAN I'm connected to has an Infineon chipset, same manufacturer as the chipset in my 2700VG. Even though I'm too far from the exchange to get ADSL2+ the router sync's nearly 1mb/sec faster using ADSL than it used to when connected to a Aclatel DSLAM. Error rates are only about 10% of what they used to be too, and the line is MEGA stable now, doesn't even re-sync during thunderstorms.

Moderators: Sami