DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

PXE Boot Environment Server

• kybernetikos
  • Topic Author
More
16 Feb 2009 21:40 #1 by kybernetikos
PXE Boot Environment Server was created by kybernetikos
I'm trying to set up a boot server. I suppose firstly, that'd be a cool feature request - for my 2820Vn to be able to act as the boot server.

I'm assuming that it can't (where would I store the boot image, maybe a usb disk?), so I'm wondering if you know how I should configure it.

Most of the guides that I've found say that you need to disable the standard dhcp server, and run a separate one. This is just something I want to be able to do from time to time, by running the tftpd etc on one of my machines attached to the 2820, and it'd be a pain to have to disable and then reenable the 2820s DHCP server every time.

I understand that some DHCP servers allow you to forward requests on. This would be ideal - that the boot related requests would be forwarded to the machine that I'm running the servers on, but I don't understand how to configure my 2820 to do that.

I'm mainly experimenting here - I want to be able to boot some laptops that don't have cd drives occasionally, rather than anything too heavy duty, but any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2009 20:35 #2 by gdawes
Replied by gdawes on topic any progress
Looking at doing likewise and hoping Draytek impement some useful and required DHCP options.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami