DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Filtering: How to get multiple rules to work together

• jkbrennan
  • Topic Author
More
16 May 2009 00:01 #1 by jkbrennan
Hi All,

I’ve spent quite a bit of time lately trying to understand the way the filtering works on our 2820.

From other posts I established that I should set up a ‘Block if no further match’ rule first and then other rules to allow traffic

So in Set 2 (the first data filter set) I have:
[Block if no further match] [IP of the test computer] Branch to Set 5

In Set 5, I set up a number of rules – some for URL content some for Web content, all configured to ‘Pass if no further match’

What I discovered was that only the first rule is effective. It didn’t matter whether it was a URL or a Web content type.

So how do I get multiple rules to work together in a Filter set? If I add a ‘Block if no further match’, rule into the middle of it, I get ‘Page won’t load’ errors.

John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2009 06:26 #2 by middling
The firewall filtering system is currently broken so there is no way to do what you want.

You'll have to wait for Draytek to fix it and issue a new firmware (though it's been 6 months since i first posted about this problem so don't hold your breath).

More
16 May 2009 17:24 #3 by louis-m
has anybody here got the web content filter by itself to work?
the url content filter works on the 2820 but it appears that the web content filter doesn't even though it categorises sites.

2820 = 3.3.2_RC5
2950 = 3.2.4

• jkbrennan
  • Topic Author
More
16 May 2009 23:04 #4 by jkbrennan
Replied by jkbrennan on topic Some conclusions
Thank you very much Middling for informing me about this state of affairs (I guess I didn’t dig far enough back into the forum entries). Kind of a relief to know this. I was beginning to think my head was sort of broken! Rather slack that they are taking so long to fix a rather important part of the feature set.
So, I conclude that multiple rules only function if scheduled at different times. Any overlapping of times will result in most of the rules further down the chain becoming ineffective.

Louis, I have got the content filter to work. Our main need here is remove sexual related content, and so having added a Web content filter profile in the CSM section, I went to the Firewall General Setup page, and updated the Web content field of the ‘Actions for the default rule’ section. However, with the tendency for one filter to undermine another, I have also added this web content block to other filter rules as well (where for example I had a URL filter rule loaded, I’ve added this Web content filter rule also). I recommend that you always test that your blocks remain in effect after making *any* change

I have also played with a few other Web content filters when I tried to set up a white list for my son. Lots of sites aren’t categorized, which is not a surprise. Anything that is part of a government site (even if it has nothing to do with politics), gets blocked if the ‘politics’ option is set to block.

More
17 May 2009 20:59 #5 by louis-m
i'm using 3.3.2_RC1. the web content side just doesn't want to work. it does something as you can see the page loading slower which would suggest some sort of checking is happening but the filter isn't being applied.

2820 = 3.3.2_RC5
2950 = 3.2.4

Moderators: Sami