DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

2820n Slow Connection Speed

• timcal
  • Topic Author
More
17 May 2009 10:58 #55829 by timcal
2820n Slow Connection Speed was created by timcal
I've had a Vigor 2600 for over 6 years now and it's been a rock solid performer. The only reason I was looking to replace it was that I wanted a solution that incorporated wireless support.

The 2820n has been a nightmare since I connected it! Typically the connection speed is 400-500 less than my old router. The SNR is slightly higher than the old one, but the Loop Att reads approximately 3db higher. From the day it was connected it has managed to reduce my line profile from 2200 to 135, so my internet is crawling now even with the old one plugged back in. I've checked ISP logs and the problems all correspond to the time I plugged the new router in.

I've tested from the BT master socket (test socket not front) and used both the same microfilter (new BT ones) and ADSL cable as my old router, and also a different set. I have also disabled QoS and bandwidth management. The firmware installed is 3.3.0

No matter how I try I cannot get the line speed within 400 of the old one. Needless to say the old router is plugged back in. Any help or advice please before I send it back?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2009 12:18 #55969 by ravsta
Replied by ravsta on topic 2820n Slow Connection Speed
Hi I have just bought a 2820vn and the same thing happens to me, have you had any luck with increasing the speed back to the old router?

Thanks

• timcal
  • Topic Author
More
22 May 2009 14:11 #55970 by timcal
Replied by timcal on topic 2820n Slow Connection Speed
I tried various firmware upgrades and was very disappointed to say the least as it doesn't seem a good choice for people a fair distance away from the exchange. I sent mine back this morning which is a real shame as I love the features in the Vigors, but just can't live with a 25% reduction in line speed.

More
22 May 2009 17:29 #55979 by drewy
Replied by drewy on topic 2820n Slow Connection Speed
this is no consulation but I too replaced a 2600V with a shint new 2820vn and it has consistantly synced at a faster rate than the 2600 ever did.
I also have a long line, the most the 2600 ever managed was slightly over 2mb, the 2820 is currently sat at 5.3mb which gets me an extra 2.5mb download speed.

• timcal
  • Topic Author
More
22 May 2009 18:05 #55980 by timcal
Replied by timcal on topic 2820n Slow Connection Speed
From what I can tell it is due to the amount of noise on the line, and the SNR Margin seems to play a big part. The SNRM was 2 higher on the 2820 than the 2600 leading to the following results:

Sync Rate
Vigor 2600X - 2400000
Vigor 2820n - 1840000
2Wire 2700 - 2900000

I've looked around at various information on the website, and the chipset in the 2820 hasn't rated highly compared to other modems out there when it comes to sync speed. PC Pro did a good comparison review of a batch of 6 ADSL2 modems.

It's possible that I had a faulty 2820, but with the effect that it had on my line (causing the line profile to drop all the way to 135) I wouldn't risk chancing another one as it took a couple of days with help from my ISP and a BT engineer to get my line reset.

I would say that if you are getting 5.3 on a long line you must have a very quiet line!

More
24 May 2009 01:56 #56002 by wizardict
Replied by wizardict on topic 2820n Slow Connection Speed
I had a 2600 that constantly had problems because I have a noisy line, I tried the 2800 and it was even worse! I've now got a 2820 and it's behaved perfectly with my line so far, increased speeds (up from 5mb to 6.8 average) and non of the rebooting problems the 2600 suffered from.

The only thing I've found that seems to slow my connection noticeably with the 2820 is if I enable the firewall. If I turn it off (I have a sonicwall sat behind it anyway) it's a definate improvement over the 2600 for me.

Moderators: Sami