DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Alternative to Open-sourcing of DrayOS

• mbartos
  • Topic Author
More
17 May 2009 11:18 #1 by mbartos
There's a thread in wishlist suggesting opening up DrayOS - and I have to say I'd tend to support that because I'm just a little concerned at the instabilities/bug levels on what should be solid routing equipment (and that's despite having purchased, or caused to be purchased, >6 Draytek routers over the last 3-4 years). I suspect that there are various issues for Draytek in opening their source - not least of which being that their dev's might not want to show the, er, creakier bits of their code ;-)

An alternative to releasing their code, would be for Draytek to release enough information to allow re-flashing of older machines with whatever the linux/OSS world brews up. The newer machines would always be more desirable by the additional hardware features.

Draytek needs to remember that they are a hardware sales company and that their software is there to sell boxes to us.. if their software is not giving us complete faith in their hardware (and being on to my second dual wan system which seems to bottleneck a single connection I'm getting twitchy) they lose out. Allowing more software to be written for their machines (even without releasing proprietary OS info) will sell more boxes for them and improve their reputation vastly.

M.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami