DrayTek UK Users' Community Forum

Help, Advice and Solutions from DrayTek Users

Dual-WAN - Is link aggregation possible or not?

• sfarres
  • Topic Author
More
28 May 2009 17:42 #1 by sfarres
We're looking to increase our upload speed to support mainly an increase in Remote Desktop/Terminal Services connections. I am looking for advice on dual-WAN function of the 2930 and 2950 Vigor's, specifically the load-balancing and aggregation abilities.

This post is mainly so I am entirely clear in my mind about the differences between the dual-WAN capability to 1) fail-over, 2) load-balancing, and 3) link aggregation.

1) Can the Vigor link AGGREGATE the WAN connections, i.e. spread the packets across both ADSL2+ links acting as if bonded (2 x 20Mb/s downstream, 2.5Mb/s upstream, acting like 1 x 40Mb/s downstream, 5Mb/s upsteam) similar to 802.3ad port-aggregation on a switch, or do the Vigor's instead use round-robin load-balancing albeit policy-based and intelligent, but nonetheless each connection/session capped to 20Mb/s downstream, 2.5Mb/s upstream?

2) The specs for 2950 describe a 'Total WAN throughput of 90Mb/s' which does tend to indicate an ability to aggregate on the WAN interface where the connections grouped may process up to 90Mb/s. Or, is this describing something different?

3) Do both the Vigor 2930 and the 2950 handle their dual-WANs in the same manner? I don't immediately need SSL/VPNs and for this reason the 2930 price range is appealing.

4) And finally, am I going to have a nightmare about dropped https and vpn connections if the equipment cycles between IP's?

PS. For inbound connections to terminal services, I have checked with our DNS hosting (DNS Made Easy, gosh they are good!) and they have the ability to link a single A-record to multiple IP's thus load-balancing connections via round-robin method (50% to each WAN) and can go all the way up to 13 IP's.

Many thanks in advance,
Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Sami